NJARA changing name to APLNJ

  • share112943
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2009
      Forwarded message - for info, please visit http://aplnj.org/

      NJARA changing name to APLNJ

      The New Jersey Animal Rights Alliance (NJARA) is changing their name
      to the Animal Protection League of New Jersey (APLNJ)

      All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it
      is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
      Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

      When NJARA's name (New Jersey Animal Rights Alliance) was first
      decided, just about everyone loved it immediately. I've loved it since
      its inception. In the 1980s, the concept of "animal rights" was growing
      in popularity and demand, although derided by opponents (Schopenhauer's
      first stage). In the 1990s, the term animal rights was starting to strike
      a cord in our opposition, who set out to disgrace and discredit us as
      animal rights activists (the second stage).

      Over time, discussions with individuals who were dedicated to animal
      rights became long winded arguments over our name. Time and again,
      people (who were members of numerous animal protection groups)
      commented on how they would like to join NJARA, but were not "into"
      animal rights. We were strong in our beliefs for animal rights so we
      dismissed this and remained committed to our name. We said people
      would just have to accept it.

      We no longer have the time to argue over our name. We must continue
      our mission and do whatever is necessary to complete our work. In that
      vein,NJARA's Board of Directors made a decision to change our
      organization's name. The new name still reflects the type of work we
      do but will be a help, not a hindrance, in garnering support. Our goals,
      policies, and charter will remain the same and our numerous programs
      aimed at ending animal abuse and exploitation will continue, unchanged.

      Our new name is Animal Protection League of New Jersey (APLNJ). We
      hope that once everyone gets past the surprise they will jump on board
      quickly and help us promote our new name. It's tangible and will bring
      in more people from the mainstream - the animals need everyone . It
      will allow us to work with organizations inside NJ that do not want to
      work with "rights" organizations. Our name will no longer impede our
      progress, it will advance it. Please email me with any questions,
      concerns or comments.

      Angi Metler, Executive Director

      Historical tidbit: I started this article with a quote from Schopenhauer,
      who was very concerned about the plight of animals. In fact, he claimed
      that a good person would have sympathy for animals, who are our
      fellow sufferers. He was quoted as saying, "Since compassion for animals
      is so intimately associated with goodness of character, it may be
      confidently asserted that whoever is cruel to animals cannot be a
      good man."

      In 1841, he praised the establishment, in London, of the Society for
      the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and also the Animals' Friends
      Society in Philadelphia. Schopenhauer even went so far as to protest
      against the use of the pronoun "it:" [... the strange fact that in English
      all animals are of the neuter gender and so are represented by the
      pronoun "it," just as if they were inanimate things. The effect of this
      artifice is quite revolting, especially in the case of primates, such as
      dogs, monkeys, and the like; it is unmistakably a priestly trick for the
      purpose of reducing animals to the level of things.]

      Animal Protection League of NJ
      PO Box 174, Englishtown, NJ 07726
      Voice: 732-446-6808 / Fax: 732-446-0227
      http://aplnj.org/