Re: re[2]: [SFX_Users] running video

  • Rob Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hello CArlton, As an addendum to last mail: SFX was left standing doing
      nothing for a while [10mins?] and I got a message saying it had a problem
      and had to quit. I have re-started and and gone into preset for the show
      and will just let it stand and see what happens. Will keep you informed.

      Regards

      Rob Brown
      Head of Sound and A/V
      rob.brown@...
      0191 275 5926
      www.topofthestairs.co.uk

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
        I don't know if this has been adressed in any previous
        posts, but I've read through the layla instructional
        manual and havn't found any answeres, and wanted to
        ask before assuming that the answer is just flat out
        no:

        Is there any way to change the output patch on the
        cards driver settings so that it patches the eight
        outputs as mono outs rather than stereo pairs? I've
        searched through ever menu in the device console and
        havn't found any option to do so. To my knowledge we
        are running the most current drivers and latest
        builds.

        - andrew

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • Duane
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
          > Is there any way to change the output patch on the
          > cards driver settings so that it patches the eight
          > outputs as mono outs rather than stereo pairs?�

          An excellent question, and it would be handy if it was like that, but I believe the simple answer is no.
        • Stabler, Shaun
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
            Couldn't you just unlink the stereo pairs in SFX and just put one of each
            channel at 0% while the other at the appropriate setting? This should allow you
            to use the card as 8 outputs. This would operate the card in a pseudo-matrix
            mode.

            > Is there any way to change the output patch on the cards driver
            > settings so that it patches the eight outputs as mono outs rather than
            > stereo pairs?�

            An excellent question, and it would be handy if it was like that, but I believe
            the simple answer is no.

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get fast
            access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/bDIolB/TM

            ----------

            The information transmitted (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is intended only for the person(s) or entity/entities to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

          • Richard B. Ingraham
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005

              Two possibilities.

              1. Just use mono .wav files. See my tips and tricks article about that
              one.

              http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/article/sfx/1/tips_and_tricks_1.htm

              2. You said you are using a Layla, so if you are not using the Optical
              Digital I/O, you can use the Layla as a matrix mixer in a way. Just
              patch your optical output, back into your optical input. Then assign
              the stereo groups in SFX to the Optical Outputs rather than the analog
              ones. Then using the Echo Console, you will route the optical inputs to
              the analog outputs. This allows you to do lots of different things, but
              on thing is can do is to take the stereo signal, mix it to mono, and
              spit it out a single analog output. I use the Echo console for this
              function all the time, on my Gina 24, and it works well.

              Richard B. Ingraham
              RBI Computers and Audio
              http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com
              rbi@...
            • manik milkman
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
                The reason I ask is because we are doing a production
                of 'the visit' and we need to have more than 4
                independantly controllable output locations onstage
                that only have to be able to carry a mono signal. We
                have freshman students run board operator on
                productions so for them to have to reassign group
                output locations in the middle of a run is pretty
                unthinkable.

                - andrew

                --- "Richard B. Ingraham" <rbi@...>
                wrote:

> [...]

                __________________________________
                http://farechase.yahoo.com
              • Marc Gwinn
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
                  manik milkman wrote:

                  >The reason I ask is because we are doing a production
                  >of 'the visit' and we need to have more than 4
                  >independantly controllable output locations onstage
                  >that only have to be able to carry a mono signal. We
                  >have freshman students run board operator on
                  >productions so for them to have to reassign group
                  >output locations in the middle of a run is pretty
                  >unthinkable.

                  It sounds like you only need an adjustment in thinking. Your 4 stereo
                  pairs are already doing what you want to (especially if you use mono
                  files). The outputs are in fact labelled 1-8, so just think of them as 8
                  outputs. I have often used the first pair for FOH and then used the
                  remaining 6 for various location-specific speakers (radio, window, baby,
                  etc.) Works like a charm. If you need help solving a specific set up or
                  scenario, I'm sure that one or all of us would be happy to throw our 2¢
                  at you.

                  If it is a problem of needing to change patching in mid show, I suggest
                  using multiple cue lists. Each cue list can have its own patch. Then
                  create a master operator list that triggers the various cues/cue lists
                  in the proper sequence.