Canada to Announce Massive Seal Hunt

  • Nick
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2006
      Dear animal activists,
      This just in from Greenpeace on the pending seal hunt in Canada:

      If you thought the clubbing of seals ended decades ago, think again. In
      1981, during my first campaign with Greenpeace, I traveled to the ice
      floes of Labrador to spray seals with harmless paint - rendering their
      white coats commercially useless. What I witnessed during that time is
      impossible to forget, and 25 years later I remain committed to this issue.

      Thanks to the public outcry we helped generate, a ban was instituted in
      1987. But the moratorium only applies to the killing of "whitecoat"
      seals - seals less than 15 days old. This destroyed the market for seal
      pelts and effectively ended the giant commercial hunts, but not,
      unfortunately, for good. In just a few days, Canada is expected to
      announce its plans for the world's largest slaughter of marine mammals.

      Take Action! Tell Canada to Put an End to the Seal Hunt
      <http://usactions.greenpeace.org/action/start.php?action_id=89&ref_source=listsseal>

      This government-sanctioned eradication of seals jeopardizes a species
      already facing an uncertain future. Global warming is melting the ice
      that harp seals depend on for breeding, nursing and resting. This
      February, at least 1,500 grey seals drowned when poor ice conditions
      forced them to give birth on land and they were swept away by a storm
      while too young to swim. For the Canadian government to promote this
      hunt is shortsighted and irresponsible.

      Please take a moment to tell Canada's new Prime Minister to end this
      practice before it's too late.