Astronomy party details for Friday Feb. 24

  • Dave Goggin
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      As you've probably noticed, the weather this week has been crystal clear -- an amazing lucky break for the best week of the year to see the elusive planet Mercury in the evening -- and so the astronomy party and dinner is definitely going ahead as announced. Here is the plan:

      vegan astronomy event: Friday, Feb. 24. I had originally envisioned this as a potluck but after noting the temperature at the beach these last few nights thought a warmer eating place would be better.

      First, we'll meet. As I've found the beach at the end of Judah St. to be the most convenient and least light-polluted, that's where we'll go for the astonomy part of the event.

      We'll meet at 6:20pm at the Java Beach coffee shop, located right on La Playa by the looped end of the streetcar tracks. This will give people time to gather and get a coffee. Look for me, tall and handsome, wearing my famed fuzzy red scarf!

      At about 6:35pm or so we'll wander over to the beach, stopping to admire a noted landscaping along the way. By then Mercury will be visible as well as numerous other astronomical objects. I will supply star maps.

      By 7:15pm we'll have probably seen pretty much everything. so we'll stroll back up Judah for dinner at the Feel Real Cafe, at 4001 Judah. I called and they told me they'd be open. This is a good vegan and I think organic place, with reasonable prices. There we'll have dinner and generally be sociable.

      Weather forecasts are for a clear and mild night on Friday. Still, wear a jacket and bring a scarf.

      -DG