Fw: AOL and Yahoo to become less friendly to non-commercial/social/technical mass mail

  • Neil Yoskowitz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2006
      forwarding this email
      does this effect us?

      wrote:
      Since many of you use Yahoo and AOL, I found this very important, and it may affect weather or not you continue to get email from xxxx.

      For years now, AOL has maintained a "whitelist" for systems (like ours) who meet certain characteristics and also are the subject of a low number of complaints. It's become less predictable recently, since AOL defines some types of complaints, like embedded URLs, that override the whitelisting and result in mail getting blocked anyway. But it is still needed to dramatically improve the odds that mail will actually get delivered.

      However, AOL has announced that they will begin phasing out their whitelist in favor of a commercial product that is essentially equivalent to making the sender buy "e-stamps" to have their mail accepted. With this approach (GoodMail's CertifiedEmail), commercial "good citizens" can help defer the cost of their mail to the receiving ISP. Yahoo is expected to follow suit.

      But... what about non-commercial services such as ours? Apparently, we have the choice of either paying to send our subscribers' requested mail with confidence, or not paying and taking our chances on whether or not we are seen as sending too much, too often, etc.

      Speaking for myself... I'm really dismayed about AOL's move... but I find Yahoo's even more pernicious, because, well, let's face it -- they're not going to charge postage to YahooGroups senders, are they?!
      It amounts to an under-the-table tool to convince people to move their mailing lists to Yahoo... definitely unfair competition.

      Please complain loudly -- to AOL for disenfranchising non-commercial "good citizens," and to Yahoo for combining the same unfortunate action with the questionable side-effect of using it to boost YahooGroups.