French Onion Soup

  • grnflea@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hi all,

      Happy New Year! Does anyone know if traditional French Onion Soup has a
      chicken or a vegetarian base? Often at nice restaurants that do not offer much is
      the way of a vegetarian entree it is sometimes the only alternative, besides
      salad.
      Anyway, if you know I'd appreciate it.

      Thanks,
      Kim

      Take care of your body, it's the temple of your spirit. Grnflea

    • Maidawg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2006
        Kim, you should have the waiter ask the chef whether chicken or beef (or
        bouillon from either) is used in the soup. I make a wonderful vegan
        French onion soup with vegan cheez, but it can be made with animal
        stuff. Many people, unfortunately, think you need animals in everything
        you eat.

        It is tricky eating in restaurants because servers will just sometimes
        either be clueless or just tell you what you want to hear. It is common
        for people to assume that soup or bouillon made from meat is not meat,
        since it does not contain actual pieces of animal corpse.

        from Maida
        Citizens for Pets in Condos, http://www.petsincondos.org
        South Florida Vegetarian Events, http://www.soflavegevents.net