Impact of exotic species on wildlife

  • Jeanine Strobel
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2005
      After seeing a posting recruting volunteers to stop the extermination
      of the exotic deer in Point Reyes, I decided to check the National
      Park Service web page - www.nps/gov. Apparently, there is compelling
      evidence that human intrusion is hurting the native plants, animals
      and ecosystem. When exotic species are introduced into nature, it
      kills animals that depend on that ecosystem for their survival.

      The exotic deer are innocent in all this, and, of course, finding a
      humane way to contain them would be preferable. It was thoughtless
      people who took them from their natural habitat and left them in
      Point Reyes.

      After reading the evidence presented by the Park Service, I
      understand that they are acting out of a love of nature and animals.
      They are trying to find a way to restore balance so the environment
      can be protected.

      I'm not even sure why this issue was presented on a vegetarian page,
      since this is not really an issue of meat-eating, but of how to
      protect our environment and wildlife from the devastating effects of
      human intrusion.

      J.E. Strobel