Stop GMO Baby Food!

  • Joseph Cadiz
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011

      --- On Thu, 12/1/11, Organic Consumers Association <ronniecummins@...> wrote:

      From: Organic Consumers Association <ronniecummins@...>
      Subject: Stop GMO Baby Food!
      To: "JOSEPH CADIZ" <jcadiz2002@...>
      Date: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 9:38 AM

      Stop GMO Baby Food!

      Organic Bytes #305: Stop GMO Baby Food!

      Unsubscribe | SUBSCRIBE & Read Past Issues | OCA Homepage | Donate

      Stop GMO Baby Food!

      Greetings from Savannah, Georgia!

      This week, the USDA's National Organic Program has convened its twice-yearly standards-setting meeting. Organic Consumers Association political director Alexis Baden-Mayer will be delivering comments this Thursday on behalf of our 360,000 Organic Bytes subscribers and 250,000 social media supporters. We need you to back up her testimony with letters to the NOSB to:

      Keep synthetic sulfite preservatives out of USDA organic wine

      Get GMOs out of organic infant formula, baby food and dairy products!

      On Friday, important decisions will be made on these and a number of other important issues. Alexis will be using OCA's Twitter feed so you can follow the meeting in real-time.

      Follow Alexis's live tweets from the NOSB meeting

      While a cornucopia of healthy food alternatives are available at the local level, the USDA National Organic Program is the only system to provide certified national and global standards for organic food that is distributed regionally, nationally, and internationally. Foods labeled "USDA Organic" are the gold standard for health and sustainability at the retail and wholesale level. This is why the OCA has organized a series of national campaigns to safeguard organic standards over the past 13 years. While the OCA and our allies have prevented national organic standards from being significantly watered down, constant vigilance and mobilization are necessary.

      Learn more

      Support the OCA and the OCF

      Thank you to everyone who has supported our work in 2011! Everyone who has donated, volunteered; everyone who has signed our Action Alerts!

      You've made it possible to continue the transition to an organic future by safeguarding organic standards and fighting back against the orbiotech bullies and their indentured politicians, supporting state and federal legislative reforms, educating the public, and organizing nationwide protests.

      In 2012, we plan to fight even harder. With the 2012 California ballot initiative, we have a real chance to hit Monsanto with the skull and crossbones they fear so much--mandatory labels on genetically engineered food.

      Please be as generous as you can this holiday season.

      Donate to the Organic Consumers Association (tax-deductible)

      Donate to the Organic Consumers Fund (not tax-deductible, but necessary for Organic Consumers lobbying work in California)

      Fair Trade Action Alert:  Support Small Coffee Farmers! Stop "Fair Trade" Coffee Plantations

      Small producers and democratic cooperatives are central to the founding principles of the fair trade movement and market. By definition, small producers are vulnerable, excluded and under-resourced in the global market. In the coffee sector, small farmers produce approximately 70% of the global coffee supply. Despite the current high prices in the coffee market, fair trade co-ops are still unable to sell the majority of their coffee under fair trade terms. Expanding fair trade certification and market access to large-scale plantations will assure that fair trade cooperatives continue to remain vulnerable to volatile international markets and undermine 25 years of fair trade development. Fair Trade USA is moving forward with "fair trade" certification of coffee plantations in 2012. IMO's Fair for Life standards allow for certification of hired labor operations in any sector, and Fairtrade International (FLO) has considered certifying coffee plantations. Send a letter to urge these top three fair trade certifiers not to certify plantation coffee.

      Take action

      More Health, Justice & Sustainability News

      The Harder They Spin: What Monsanto and Corporate Agribusiness' Front Group, USFRA, Wants Us to Believe

      Court Demands Health Canada Re-Examine Toxicity of Monsanto's Roundup Herbicide

      The Empire Strikes Back in Futility: Reflections on the Occupy Movement and the Repression It Has Sparked

      OWS: To Change the Country, We Just Might Have to Change Ourselves

      To Conservatives, Climate Change Is Trojan Horse to Abolish Capitalism

      Eden Foods Offers OCA Customers 15% Discount

      Eden Foods is one of the few national organic food producers who goes beyond the USDA Organic Standards. Although Eden Foods is USDA certified, their products do not bear the USDA seal, because they say the USDA standard really represents a "minimum standard" that Eden Foods goes far beyond.

      As a subscriber to Organic Bytes, you can enjoy a 15% discount rate on any Eden Foods products by going here.

      Learn More

      Connect With OCA!

      Facebook Pages:

      Twitter Feeds:

      Please forward this publication to family and friends, place it on web sites,
      print it, duplicate it and post it freely. Knowledge is power!
      Organic Bytes is a publication of Organic Consumers Association
      6771 South Silver Hill Drive - Finland, MN 55603 - Phone: 218-226-4164 - Fax: 218-353-7652
      You are subscribed as:
      San Francisco, CA
      Subscribe & Read past issues and print- friendly PDF versions of Organic Bytes
      Unsubscribe | Donate
       If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.