Label GMOs Info for Veg Society Email List

  • Dixie Mahy
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27 3:06 AM

      From: "Liz Kroboth and Frank Plughoff, Label GMOs SF" <labelgmossf@...>

      A grassroots movement of concerned consumers, farmers, businesses, food safety experts all around California are working to put an initiative on the CA 2012 ballot that would require labeling of genetically modified foods (GMOs). We've just submitted the language of the initiative to the state, and in January, we should have the petitions in hand and will be hitting the streets. If you're not familiar with GMOs, I recommend checking out responsibletechnology.org, organicconsumers.org, or centerforfoodsafety.org for some basic information.

      There are a few ways you can support this initiative. What we are most in need of is volunteer signature gatherers and a network of neighborhoods coordinators to support these volunteers. If you think you might be up for gathering some signatures and/or serving as a neighborhood coordinator, please come to our mini training on Monday, November 28th, 7pm-8pm. This training will take place at the Western Addition Library Branch, at 1550 Scott Street. (Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/200193236727515/)

      We also also having a Volunteer Welcome Night on Sunday, December 4th, 5:30pm-9:00pm. This event will take place in San Francisco's SoMa neighborhood, and will feature a non-GMO potluck, and an educational program that will cover both basic facts and talking points around GMOs, as well as facts and tips for gathering signatures. Anyone who is considering volunteering with the movement is invited to attend. Please RSVP on Facebook or by emailing Liz, one of the SF coordinators, at LabelGMOsSF@.... Please mention what you plan to bring to the potluck. Also, if you want to come to the educational portion of the program only, this part will begin at 7pm. (Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/192057214212062/)

      Another way you can support us is to attend our Silent Auction Fundraiser on December 10th, 6:00pm-10:00pm in Oakland. Entry to the event is free, and the silent auction will raise funds for our local efforts to secure educational materials, and cover tabling supplies and fees. The auction will focus on local artists' work and goods, gift cards, and non-GMO foods from local businesses. We are still collecting donations if you happen to be an artist, craftperson, store owner, etc.  (Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/292064224161077/)

      We also encourage everyone to spread the word about the initiative to friends and family. One of the easiest ways you can do this is through social media. You can find our social media pages on...
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Label-GMOs-San-Francisco-Group/205746199486631
      Twitter: Label_GMOs_SF
      Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/labelgmos

      To find out more about the initiative or get involved, please visit labelgmos.org or email Liz at LabelGMOsSF@...

      Liz Kroboth, San Francisco Regional Co-Coordinator
      Frank Plughoff, San Francisco Regional Co-Coordinator
      Label GMOs: Its Our Right To Know- An Initiative For The 2012 CA Ballot

      Please "Like" us on Facebook: SF Group: on.fb.me/LabelGMOsSF
      Please follow us on Twitter: Label_GMOs_SF