Re: How static are the "Limitations of Veganism"

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2011
      Indeed, the knowledge of vegan nutrition has progressed from the 1980s, when I personally became familiar with the subject. Quite a number of claims about it were made at that time, and the vegan consultants gave advice which in some areas we now know to be incorrect. But such is the nature of things. Therefore, we look at clinical studies conducted by institutions which do not have a vested interest either way, which follow the case histories of populations for ten or fifteen years, as a good potential source of information. Doing so has been helpful.

      Dave

      --- In SFVeg@yahoogroups.com, "Maynard S. Clark" <Maynard.Clark@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > Last Wed. evening, Oct. 5, we studied areas of concern in maintaining a
      > > healthy vegan diet. These included the following, among others:
      > >
      > > 1) Iron deficiency: Although non-heme iron is found in dark green leafy
      > > vegetables, the presence of oxalates and phytates decreases the absorption
      > > of iron because they bind with iron in the gastrointestinal tract.
      > >
      > > 2) Phytates in unfermented beans, sesame seeds, almonds and Brazil nuts
      > > bind up calcium and other bone minerals so that the body does not benefit.
      > >
      > > 3) Vegan sources of Omega 3 fatty acids: In the US, many people have
      > > difficulty converting flaxseed oil to DHA and EPA which are naturally found
      > > in fish oils. It can take 30 times the flaxseed dosage to provide the same
      > > DHA and EPA levels as found in fish oil. Many people genetically cannot
      > > convert Omega 6 fats to DHA.
      > >
      > > 4) Vitamin B12 deficiency: There is not real B12 in plant sources but B12
      > > analogues--they are similar to true B12, but not exactly the same and
      > > because of this they are not bioavailable. It should be noted here that
      > > these B12 analogues can impair absorption of true vitamin B12 in the body
      > > due to competitive absorption, placing vegans and vegetarians who consume
      > > lots of soy, algae, and yeast at a greater risk for a deficiency.
      > >
      > > 5) Beta-carotene occurring in carrots and other vegan sources is not an
      > > adequate source of Vitamin A.
      > >
      > > 6) Vitamin D in its full complex form is not available from vegan sources
      > > and the requirement cannot be met by exposure to sunlight.
      > >
      > > 7) A vegan diet will not work for some people, depending on genetic
      > > background.
      > >
      > > These are matters of urgent concern to vegans. What can be done? Is a true
      > > vegan diet really feasible?
      > >
      > > Yes it is, but how? These important questions will be answered this Wed.
      > > evening. This is a vitally important presentation for vegans. Health,
      > > well-being and life expectancy are at issue. Don't miss it!
      > >
      > > First, enjoy a truly health-supporting vegan dinner, nutrient-dense and
      > > nutritionally balanced. The dinner is designed by a CERTIFIED NUTRITION
      > > CONSULTANT, so the concerns listed above are addressed. It is all you can
      > > eat, as long as the food lasts, and bring a container to take some home.
      > >
      > > SPECIAL FEATURE:
      > >
      > > *** FREE ***
      > >
      > > Chance to *WIN*
      > >
      > > 1 of 4 CASES
      > >
      > > Vegan, Organic, Yummy
      > >
      > > ~Light in Sodium~
      > >
      > > Ready to Serve
      > >
      > > Butternut Squash Soup
      > >
      > > It all happens this Wed., Oct. 12 at 6 pm, at the Opera Plaza Community
      > > Room, 601 Van Ness, San Francisco. Take the elevator to the first floor,
      > > then security will key you down to the mezzanine.
      > >
      > > A fifteen dollar requested donation covers the all you can eat dinner plus
      > > the important presentation on vegan health. The chef donates her time. Funds
      > > go toward facility rental, food, transport and related costs.

    • Maynard S. Clark
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2011
        I'd like to see the database of research 'populated' more robustly so we can see the discoveries that do (and did) make a difference (and when) in what we learned to recommend to one another.

        Maynard

        Maynard S. Clark    |  GoogleChat: Maynard.Clark | Skype: MaynardClark

        Google Voice (617-615-9672) reaches all my phones

        MSM (ABC/T); CIPP, RTP, RAC/GCRA, REACH Intermediate certificates

        Blog Links | HSPH Bioethics | LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Google Profile

        Maynard.Clark@... and/or MClark@...

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2011
          Yes, great idea, Maynard. I did share several of those studies at the presentation, and had promised to email the materials to everyone, just havent gotten around to it yet. And I'm sure there is much more available than the studies I have reviewed.