Hitler a vegetarian?

  • rojony57
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
      Hitler a vegetarian?

      Dear John,

      You people who say that we would all be more peaceful if we ate a
      vegetarian diet always seem to forget that Adolph Hitler was a
      vegetarian.
      That pretty well destroys your belief system, doesn't it?

      Anonymous

      Dear Anonymous,

      The belief that Adolph Hitler was a vegetarian is widespread, and you
      are certainly not the only one who carries it. But that doesn't make
      it true.

      Robert Payne is widely considered to be Hitler's definitive
      biographer. In his book, Hitler: The Life and Death of Adolph Hitler,
      Payne says that Hitler's "vegetarianism" was a "legend" and
      a "fiction" invented by Joseph Goebbels, the Nazi Minister of
      Propaganda. According to Payne:

      "Hitler's asceticism played an important part in the image he
      projected over Germany. According to the widely believed legend, he
      neither smoked nor drank, nor did he eat meat or have anything to do
      with women. Only the first was true. He drank beer and diluted wine
      frequently, had a special fondness for Bavarian sausages and kept a
      mistress, Eva Braun… His asceticism was fiction invented by Goebbels
      to emphasize his total dedication, his self-control, the distance
      that separated him from other men. By this outward show of
      asceticism, he could claim that he was dedicated to the service of
      his people. In fact he was remarkably self-indulgent and possessed
      none of the instincts of the ascetic."

      Rynn Berry is historical advisor to the North American Vegetarian
      Society and is on the Advisory Board of EarthSave. Publisher's Weekly
      wrote of his thoughtful essay, "Why Hitler Was Not a Vegetarian,"
      that it "lays to rest the myth that Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian."
      In the essay, Berry writes of the famous chef Dione Lucas:

      "Dione Lucas was a sort of precursor of the popular television
      `French' chef, Julia Childe. One of the first to open a successful
      cooking school in the United States, Lucas was also one of the first
      chefs to popularize French cuisine on television in the 1950s and
      1960s. During the 1930s, prior to her coming to the United States,
      she had worked as a chef at a hotel in Hamburg, where Adolph Hitler
      was one of her regular customers."

      Indeed, Dione Lucas often cooked for Hitler. In her book, The Gourmet
      Cooking School Cookbook, she makes it clear that this despot was by
      no means the vegetarian Goebbel's myth would have us believe. Writing
      of her recipe for stuffed squab, for example, she says:

      "I learned this recipe when I worked as a chef before World War II,
      in one of the large hotels in Hamburg, Germany. I do not mean to
      spoil your appetite for stuffed squab, but you might be interested to
      know that it was a great favorite of Mr. Hitler, who dined at the
      hotel often. Let us not hold that against a fine recipe, though."

      Not only did Hitler eat meat, he went so far as to outlaw
      organizations that advocated vegetarianism, and harshly rebuked all
      proposals to ease Germany's food shortages that involved reductions
      in meat consumption.

      So the whole story that Hitler was a vegetarian is simply a myth,
      invented by the infamous Joseph Goebbels. This man, as you no doubt
      know, was not particularly loyal to the truth. In fact, one of his
      more famous sayings is that if you tell a lie often enough, and loud
      enough, people will believe it. Another was the bigger the lie, the
      easier it is to get people to believe it.

      The fiction that Hitler was a vegetarian was just one more of the
      many lies that he told often and loud. It's certainly time that it be
      seen for what it is — a falsehood deliberately constructed to advance
      the Nazi cause and to perpetrate an image of Hitler that obscured the
      reality of who and what he actually was.

      Hitler was not a vegetarian. However, many remarkable human beings
      have been, including Mahatma Gandhi, Leonardo da Vinci, Pythagoras,
      George Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy, and Dennis Kucinich.

      And let's not forget Paul McCartney.

      It's going to take a lot more than a few of us giving up meat to
      arrive at a peaceful world, but everything we can do helps.

      Thanks for writing and giving me the opportunity to address this
      question.

      John
    • Thea Langsam
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2005
        "You people who say that we would all be more peaceful if we ate a
        vegetarian diet always seem to forget that Adolph Hitler was a
        vegetarian. That pretty well destroys your belief system, doesn't it?"

        It sounds as if the evidence shows that "Hitler was a vegetarian" is a myth. But I don't particularly care if he was. The vegetarian/vegan diet is itself "more peaceful" than a diet that includes meat/animal products for the obvious reason that it involves less violence to animals. What Hitler ate can't change that fact.

        Peacefully,
        Thea

      • Eric Goldberg
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2005
          I agree. What is the point of proving that every despot or bad person
          wasn't a vegetarian? By extension, is every vegetarian a good person?
          A more productive response to a claim such as "X was Y, and X was
          evil, therefore Y is evil" is point out that it is a logical phallacy.
          We're missing the point if we have to do a biography of every evil
          human in order to prove that vegetarians are fundamentally... what?
          Unable to commit genocide? Unable to be bad people? And do we have to
          write exposes on Nobel peace prize winning omnivores to prove they
          have a dark side? This quickly becomes quite silly, and even more
          unproductive.

          Hitler was a man. Hitler was evil. Therefore Gandhi was evil, because
          he was also a man.

          Aaron Burr dueled with pistols. Aaron Burr was right-handed.
          Therefore, Mother Teresa enjoys pistol duels.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

          cheers,

          On 10/8/05, Thea Langsam <thea_langsam@...> wrote:
          > "You people who say that we would all be more peaceful if we ate a
          > vegetarian diet always seem to forget that Adolph Hitler was a
          > vegetarian. That pretty well destroys your belief system, doesn't it?"
          >
          > It sounds as if the evidence shows that "Hitler was a vegetarian" is a
          > myth. But I don't particularly care if he was. The vegetarian/vegan diet
          > is itself "more peaceful" than a diet that includes meat/animal products for
          > the obvious reason that it involves less violence to animals. What Hitler
          > ate can't change that fact.
          >
          > Peacefully,
          > Thea

          > ________________________________

        • Doug Dyment
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2005
            I don't know why folks are dumping on the posting about the Hitler
            myth. It's an extremely common belief, often used in misguided
            attempts to discredit vegetarianism. Sure it's a fallacious argument,
            but it's easier to point out that it's just plain wrong than to try
            to educate some people about the nature of logical fallacy.

            So I was happy to read some authoritative citings concerning the issue.

            ... Doug

            "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally
            look at the results." --Winston Churchill