AR2011 Inspires Hundreds of Animal Activists

  • Joseph Cadiz
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2011

      --- On Thu, 8/4/11, Farm Animal Rights Movement <actionhighlights@...> wrote:

      From: Farm Animal Rights Movement <actionhighlights@...>
      Subject: AR2011 Inspires Hundreds of Animal Activists
      To: membership@...
      Date: Thursday, August 4, 2011, 4:19 PM

      AR2011 Report

      AR2011 Inspires Hundreds of Animal Activists!

      I was impressed by AR2011 beyond my highest expectations! - T. Scott, Seattle

      Photos courtesy of Sylvia Elzafon.

      Nearly a thousand animal activists and other caring people converged on the Westin LAX hotel in Los Angeles between July 21-25th for Animal Rights 2011 National Conference. They came from 40 U.S. States and 13 other countries. They left re-energized, more educated, and more effective.

      The one hundred sessions were organized into four tracks: animal abuse, organizing, tactics, and issues. The program opened with a plenary session on the history and recent progress of the animal rights movement. It concluded with a panel of three leaders of the environmental movement addressing cooperation options. Other key panels addressed repression of animal activism, tactical issues, new challenges, effective arguments,

      Among the 100 presenters were Farm Sanctuary's Gene Baur and Bruce Friedrich, SAEN's Michael Budkie, FARM's Alex Hershaft, author Melanie Joy, COK's Erica Meier, 600 Million Dogs' Alex Pacheco, Compassionate Cooks' Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, Green Is the New Red's Will Potter, Alley Cat Allies' Becky Robinson, Mercy For Animals' Nathan Runkle and The Simpsons co-creator Sam Simon.

      The Saturday night’s Awards Banquet, marked the climax of the conference. Carol J. Adams, author of "The Sexual Politics of Meat," was inducted into the Animal Rights Hall of Fame by AR2011 speakers. Juliette West received the Young Activist Award for defense of threatened elephants.

      Bryan Pease and Kath Rogers of the Animal Protection and Rescue League (APRL) received the Henry Spira Grassroots Animal Activist Award for their effective vegan outreach and their campaign to end the production and sale of foie gras. Kate Danaher was similarly honored for her work rescuing animal victims of the recent disasters in Japan.

      Newcomer orientations, regional lunches, and daily networking receptions provided ample networking opportunities. This year's video program included premieres of "Vegucated" and "Project Nim." Nearly 70 organizations offered literature, merchandise, and food in the Exhibit Hall. Morning and evening snacks featured delicacies from our generous food donors.

      A detailed program booklet is posted online. You may view 180 photos in our AR2011 photo gallery. Our Recordings page offers instructions for ordering recordings of individual sessions or the entire conference.

      Animal Rights 2011 was organized by the Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM) and co-sponsored by 17 other organizations, including In Defense of Animals, Mercy For Animals, Compassion Over Killing, United Poultry Concerns, Int'l Primate Protection League, Stop Animal Exploitation Now!, A Well-Fed World, Compassion Circle, Healthforce Nutritionals, E-Magazine, and VegNews.

      Please join us for AR2012 in the nation's capital!

      Having trouble viewing this e-mail? Click here for the web version.

      10101 Ashburton Lane, Bethesda MD 20817; To unsubscribe or change profile, click here.