Veg/Vegan Hike - Portola Redwoods State Park (09/03/2005)

  • Robin Ram
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2005
      A few of us vege/vegan-hikers are planning a hiking trip to the Portola Redwoods State Park located in the San Mateo County (La Honda). While not as majestic as Big Basin, this state park has a rugged, natural basin forested with coast redwoods, Douglas fir and live oak. Eighteen miles of trails crisscross the canyon and its two streams, Peters Creek and Pescadero Creek. A short nature trail along Pescadero Creek introduces visitors to the natural history of the area. The park has one of the tallest redwoods (300 feet high) in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

      The plan is to meet in the parking-lot of the Portola Redwoods State Park @ 10AM this Saturday Morning (09/03). Shortly thereafter we'll head in for a 7-mile hike. The hike is rated "moderate" and should take 4-5 hours to complete. This will also be a nice opportunity for photo enthusiasts to take some great shots of the forest.

      Please note:

      - Carpool if you can (parking cost/vehicle is $6)
      - Fill-up your vehicle with gas since the closest gas station to the state park is miles away
      - Bring a backpack, pack yourself an energizing lunch, snacks, and at least one large bottle of water to last through the hike
      - A good part of the hike is shaded, though keeping a hat just incase, could prove useful
      - The hike is not intended as a fast paced power hike, rather it will be one that allows us time to enjoy the forest at a slower but steady pace.
      - Arrive timely. If running late please call me on my cell phone. Sometimes reception is hardly available in the forests, so not sure how well this will work.

      The following are some links that all those interested are encouraged to visit and learn more about the Portola Redwoods State Park, how to get there, and other fun details (Note: While some of web sites are nice enough to offer driving directions, do verify them against your own searchs on yahoomaps/mapquest/etc.)
      http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=539
      http://www.bahiker.com/southbayhikes/portola.html
      http://www.virtualparks.org/parks/portola-text-list.html
      http://www.geocities.com/rhorii/Portola/Portola.htm

      If you would like to join this hike, please let me know by this Friday (5PM). See you at Portola Redwoods this Saturday!

      Robin Ram
      write2robinram@...