McLibel at the Red Vic Movie House 8/28 - 8/30

  • bikegemini
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2005
      RED VIC MOVIE HOUSE
      1727 Haight St.
      San Francisco, CA 94117
      415-668-3994
      http://www.redvicmoviehouse.com

      Sunday, August 28 – Tuesday, August 30
      McLibel
      Dir. Frann Armstorng UK 2005
      McLibel documents the highly publicized court case between the McDonald's
      corporation and a former postman and a gardener from London (Helen Steel
      and Dave Morris). McDonald's tried to sue the two for distributing leaflets that
      attacked all aspects of the corporations' Mcbusiness. In what became the
      longest trial in English legal history, the "McLibel 2" represented themselves
      against McDonald's $19 million legal team. The result was a huge corporate
      PR disaster, with every aspect of the corporation's business cross-examined:
      from junk food and Mcjobs, to animal cruelty, environmental damage and the
      company's advertising to children. Meanwhile, outside the courtroom, Dave
      brought up his young son alone and Helen supported herself by working
      nights in a bar. Filmed over ten years, McLibel features reenactments of key
      courtroom scenes that were directed by Ken Loach. It addresses the power
      multinational corporations wield over our everyday lives and offers two
      unlikely heroes who are changing our McWorld. (85m)
      Sun: 2:00, 4:00, 7:15, 9:15; Mon & Tues: 7:15, 9:15