Day of Protest to Stop Dolphin Slaughter

  • Ron Halfhill
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2005
      Dear Animal Loving Friend,

      I'd like to share with you this information from Richard O'Barry,
      world famous as the former trainer of the movie dolphin, Flipper,
      and for years as a steadfast activist on behalf of the dolphins and
      whales.

      From my connection and communication with the dolphins and whales, I
      know that they are our evolutionary leaders and deeply care for us
      and about our enlightenment. We owe them a great deal of respect and
      care for them and their (our) oceanic environment as elders and
      fellow beings. In caring for them, we care for ourselves and all
      life on Earth.

      Here is one important focused way we can assist our cetacean
      friends. I urge you to read and act to help the dolphins in Taiji,
      Japan.

      The last paragraphs are about a dolphin/ocean/environmental
      activist, Ben White, who recently passed on, and what a difference
      one person can make by showing up.

      Thank you for listening. Please pass the word on about this way to
      help our dolphin friends.

      With respect and love,

      Penelope Smith
      __________________

      Dear Penelope,

      Yes please do network this information in your newsletter. We need
      everyone to show up.

      We both know a great many people who say that they love dolphins.
      Now's the time to stand up and be counted. If everyone who said that
      they love dolphins would show up on October 8th at noon in front of
      the Japanese embassy, the annual dolphin slaughter would end.

      Love and Light, Ric
      www.savetaijidolphins.org

      International Day of Protest Against the Japanese Dolphin Slaughter

      As most of you know, the largest slaughter of dolphins and other
      small whales takes place in Japan every single year. Why don't we
      get ourselves organized and protest the massacres every year before
      the killing season starts?

      The so-called drive fishery in Japan will kill about 20,000 dolphins
      and other whales from September through April in the most brutal way
      imaginable. We can actually do something about this. We can let the
      Japanese government know that these crimes against nature are
      unacceptable to the rest of the world. We can speak out against this
      atrocity loudly and clearly.

      Our plan is to organize an international day of protest in several
      cities around the world before the dolphin massacres begin. If we
      show up in huge numbers, we will be heard in Tokyo. The goal is to
      make this the biggest global protest against the drive fishery in
      history.

      We are hoping that everyone who is opposed to the annual dolphin
      slaughter is willing to show up and demonstrate. We need your help
      in making the international day of protest successful.

      Please note that this will be an all-inclusive event. In other
      words, the protest will not take place under the umbrella of any one
      group. The event will be carried out by all of us, on a equal basis.
      Each group represents itself and will contact the media in their
      city with their own press release. All participating groups can be
      listed in the press release in alphabetical order.

      Our Japanese colleagues tell us that outside pressure can stop the
      annual dolphin slaughter. So why not give the Japanese decision-
      makers some serious, outside international media pressure?

      The date of the protest will probably be in late September, just
      before the slaughter starts in Taiji. (Exact date later announced as
      October 8.)

      We have to get organized early, so here is what we need to know: How
      many groups are willing to participate in organizing this event? We
      need as many organizations and individuals as possible to show up in
      front of the Japanese Embassies in Paris, London, Brussels, New
      York, San Francisco, Washington DC and other locations. (The more,
      the better.)

      As a first step, we are trying to identify what kind of cooperation
      we can get from the international animal welfare community. If you
      and/or your organization is willing to participate in this important
      global event, please contact me. I'm willing to help coordinate
      things.

      We have some specific ideas as to how to make this a success. We
      will share these ideas later. And please remember: The goal is to
      make this event huge, effective and memorable.

      Thanks,

      Here's a list of cities that will participate in the International
      Day of Protest Against the Japanese Dolphin Slaughter. This is only
      a partial list, as others are expected to sign on later.

      We don't want to look weak and disorganized, so we need many more
      participants. If we don't have a strong presence in a particular
      city, that city will have to be eliminated. Those demonstrators will
      hopefully attend the protest in another well-attended location. The
      Japanese government must not get the impression that we are just a
      handful of the usual protesters. We are going to get one chance
      (this year) to do this, so we need to do it right or not at all.

      Remember, the problem is in Taiji, but the solution is in Tokyo. We
      want to send the message to the decision makers in Tokyo that the
      brutal dolphin slaughter is not acceptable to the rest of the world
      and that the dolphin slaughter (and related captures) must be
      abolished immediately. In other words, we need to stop the
      permitting process. The dolphin hunters already told us that if they
      didn't get a permit from Tokyo, they would stop the killing
      immediately.

      To pull this off, we need TENS OF THOUSANDS of non- violent,
      peaceful protesters in front of Japanese embassies around the world.
      We need the MEMBERSHIP of all our various groups to show up, not
      just a few token staff members and volunteers. We have until
      September to educate our members as to why it's so important for
      them to show up and protest the largest slaughter of dolphins in the
      world.

      WE CAN DO THIS.

      SAVE THE DOLPHINS: BOYCOTT JAPAN?

      By Ric O'Barry, One Voice-France

      We have received a great deal of international correspondence lately
      suggesting that we "Boycott Japan" as a strategy to solve the drive
      fisheries problem. Although we are not telling other NGOs what their
      strategy should be, I wanted to clarify that we think a boycott of
      Japan is a big mistake. Having been to Japan and witnessed the
      dolphin slaughter up-close and personal, we can report with absolute
      certainty that the Japanese people are not guilty of these crimes
      against nature. From what we saw, 26 whalers in 13 boats drive the
      dolphins into a cove and slaughter them. The vast majority of the
      people in Taiji and surrounding villages are exceptionally friendly,
      and they should not be targeted and punished for something they are
      not guilty of.

      I spent most of 1975-76 traveling from Coconut Grove, Florida, to
      several cities in the United States and eventually Japan with scores
      of Japanese and American musicians/environmentalists such as Fred
      Neil, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, Shigado Izumia, Warren Zevon,
      Harry Hossano, John Sebastian, Governor Jerry Brown, Paul Winter
      Consort and a great many other concerned artists. We were known
      as "The Rolling Coconut Review," and we were trying to put a stop to
      the BOYCOTT JAPAN, SAVE THE WHALES campaign. Eventually we
      succeeded. The boycott was the chosen strategy of most of the well-
      funded US animal welfare/environmental groups who pooled their money
      and took out full page advertisements in the New York Times,
      Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, etc. to get their boycott
      message out to the American public. This misguided campaign did not
      save any whales. However, as a direct result of the BOYCOTT JAPAN
      campaign, Japanese/American children were beaten up on the
      playgrounds of the USA and called "Jap whale killers." (Jap is a
      derogatory term) Surely, this is not a situation that we would want
      to create once again.

      The Japanese people don't need a boycott. They need access to the
      information that we take for granted. If they knew the truth about
      the dolphin slaughter, they would help us stop it. The fishermen who
      hunt and kill dolphins in Taiji agree with us. They revealed this
      during a meeting we had with them at Taiji City Hall. When they
      asked us why we had come to Taiji, we told them we wanted to
      document the methods used to conduct the dolphin massacres and let
      the Japanese people know the truth about this hunt. The fishermen's
      reply was: "The Japanese people have no right to know about the
      dolphin slaughter. It is none of their business."

      But the Japanese people have every right to know about the dolphin
      massacres that are carried out in their own country, and we will
      continue to travel to these remote fishing villages to document what
      is going on. The fishermen in Taiji spend most of their time hiding
      their activities. They have erected a roof of blue tarp over the
      lagoon in which the dolphins are killed, to prevent us from
      documenting the massacres. They cover up the dead bodied with
      plastic and butcher the dolphins in a slaughterhouse that is
      completely covered up. They are paranoid about being photographed
      while killing dolphins. They know that if the images reach the
      Japanese public, their days as dolphin hunters are numbered. They
      will not be able to find public support to continue the practice.

      I hereby urge you to approach the Japanese people in a respectful
      and peaceful manner. It is the Japanese people who hold the key to
      stopping the dolphin massacres. In order to make this happen, we
      need to build bridges between us, not burn them.

      We need to work with the Japanese people, not against them.

      Condemning a whole nation for the actions of a few people is simply
      unfair. A better strategy would be to isolate the few people who are
      guilty of killing the dolphins from the rest of the Japanese
      population who are totally unaware of the problem.

      Our chance to expose these crimes against nature and to isolate the
      guilty from the innocent will come on October 8th. If everyone who
      attends the demo will bring a friend, our numbers would double.
      How's that for a concept?

      As you can see, the list grows stronger with every passing day. This
      is very encouraging.

      JAPAN DOLPHIN DAY: List of Participants
      America's Whale Alliance ~ San Francisco
      Animal Friends ~ Croatia
      Animalisti Italiani Onlus ~ Rome
      Animals Voice.com ~ Seattle
      Animal Welfare Institute ~ Washington DC
      Blue Voice ~ San Francisco
      Bite Back ~ Brussels
      Born Free Foundation ~ London
      British Divers Marine Life Rescue ~ London
      Campaign Whale ~ London
      Captive Animals Protection Society ~ London
      Captive Dolphin Awareness Foundation ~ Huston
      Catastrophes ~ London
      Cetacean Defense ~ London
      Cetacean Society International ~ New York City
      COMARINO ~ Mexico City
      Committee for a Dolphinarium-Free Belgium ~ Brussels
      Dolphin Encountours ~ Mozambique
      Dolphin Project ~ Miami
      Earth Island Institute ~ San Francisco, Manila
      ECOTERRA ~ Nairobi
      EDEV ~ Den Haag
      Environmental Investigative Agency ~ London
      GAIA ~ Brussels
      GEVHA ~ Barcelona and Madrid
      Green Beings Global Animation Studio ~ San Francisco
      Hong Kong Dolphin Conservation Society ~ Hong Kong
      HSUS ~ Washington DC
      In Defense of Animals ~ San Francisco
      International Animal Rescue ~ London
      Irish Seal Sanctuary ~ Dublin
      Kepangi Makili ~ Solomon Islands
      Last Chance for Animals ~ Los Angeles
      Marine Connection ~ London
      New York Whale and Dolphin Action League ~ New York City
      Nomades des Océans ~ Paris
      Ocean Care (ASMS) ~ Bern
      Ocean Defense International ~ San Francisco
      One Voice ~ Paris, Marseille, Miami
      Philippine Society for the Protection of Animals ~ Manila
      Rattle the Cage ~ Miami
      Re-Earth ~ Nassau, Bahamas Islands
      Reseau-Cetaces ~ Paris
      Sea Shepherd ~ Vienna, Brussels, Paris, Berlin, Budapest, Istanbul,
      London, Den Haag, Strasbourg
      SHARK ~ Chicago
      Sea Vita ~ Caracas
      SOS Grand Bleu ~ Marseille
      Vier Photen ~ Switzerland
      United Action for Animals ~ New York City
      WDCS ~ London
      Whale Workshop ~ London
      Wild Earth Foundation ~ Argentina
      WSPA ~ London
      Zoo Check Canada ~ Toronto
      "Eighty percent of success is showing up"
      Woody Allen