http://ewg.org Dirty little secret - The single biggest factor that determines what ends up on your plate is the federal farm bill.

  • scott munson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2011
      http://ewg.org Dirty little secret - The single biggest factor that determines what ends up on your plate is the federal farm bill.

      Remember to add ewg@... to your contact list.

      EWG Action Fund Logo
      Take Action

      Dear Friend,

      Are you frustrated that organic food can be hard to find and is usually pretty expensive? If so, then help yourself by helping EWG Action Fund.

      The single biggest factor that determines what ends up on your plate is the federal farm bill. It's at the heart of the food system, affecting the foods you eat and how much they cost, the environment and even the government's bottom line. But its dirty little secret is that much of the money -- 74 percent of crop subsidies -- goes to big farms that don't need it or to "farmers" who live nowhere near a farm.

      Not nearly enough money goes to organics and sustainable farm practices -- key elements to growing healthy food. These wasteful practices have gone on long enough. EWG Action Fund is letting Congress know that we deserve better.

      Join EWG Action Fund in telling Congress that your tax dollars should go towards sustainable farming practices and growing healthy food for all Americans. We'll deliver your signatures to Debbie Stabenow, chair of the Senate Agricultural Committee.

      Huge federal subsidies go to wealthy farms and agribusinesses that don't need the help. Even more outrageous, last year, nearly $400 million dollars went to "farmers" in places like New York City, Chicago, San Francisco -- even Beverly Hills. Since 1995, EWG has tracked subsidies and highlighted these inequities. This year, as Congress gears up to write the farm bill, we need your help to make sure Washington hears us.

      Especially in the current economy, we know those funds can be put to better use -- to help working farm families, advance organic and sustainable farming, protect the environment and provide healthy, unprocessed food to low-income families and children.

      Join EWG Action Fund in telling Congress that your tax dollars should go towards sustainable farming practices and growing healthy food for all Americans.

      The farm bill affects everyone who eats, which is why we all need to take a stand to turn it into a healthy food bill.

      Sincerely,

      Ken Cook
      President, EWG Action Fund

      Donate!Facebook  Twitter

      UNSUBSCRIBE | CHANGE OPTIONS

      The Environmental Working Group is a non-profit, non-partisan research organization dedicated to using the power of information to protect human health and the environment. The EWG Action Fund is a legislative advocacy organization that uses EWG research to promote healthy and sustainable policies.

      HEADQUARTERS 1436 U St. NW, Suite 101 | Washington, DC 20009 | (202) 667-6982