Update on Smart Meters

  • Dixie Mahy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2011

      From: Marti Kheel <marti@...>

      Subject: Brief Update on Smart Meters

      Dear Friends,

      I don't usually send out updates so soon after previous ones, since I know all of us all inundated with e-mail, but some new events have come up that I think warrant a brief update. You may have heard that PG&E has just given their customers a temporary reprieve from the installation of “smart” meters. The CPUC won't vote on PG&E's opt-out proposal until mid-September, at the earliest. Until then, customers who have not received a “smart” meter yet can call (877) 743-7378 and ask to delay the installation. So, if you don’t have a “smart” meter yet I encourage you to call this new number right away.

      After the opt-out program begins, PG&E will call customers and ask whether they want the “smart” meter’s radio turned off once it is installed. Customers will still get a “smart” meter whether they want one or not - they'll simply hold on to their old, analog meters a little longer.

      Even if you've already placed yourself on the delay list before, call the new delay number to make sure that you're on it. Not everyone who called previously is listed. Tell them that you want confirmation mailed to you, ask for a confirmation number in the meantime, and tell them that you want it to be on record that you want to keep your analog meter at no cost.

      On a related issue there is going to be a free symposium on cell phone health risks at USF on May 1 at 6:30 pm Lone Mountain room 100 where the renowned public health educator and author Dr. Devra Davis (from Washington D.C.) will be speaking along with Senator Mark Leno and Mayoral candidate Senator Leland Yee. I will also have a few minutes to say a word about smart metershttp://www.usfsymposium.com/
      There should be lots of good information about wireless safety, so if you can make it I encourage you to attend.

      Tomorrow will also be the kick off  in S.F. of an 8 day march to S.F. and general strike organized by Code Pink. The general theme is  1) NO MORE TAXES for WARS & OCCUPATIONS; and 2) NO MORE TAX BREAKS for the RICH & their CORPORATIONS!

      Lots of good stuff going on in the Bay Area as usual!

      To learn more visit: http://www.bayareacodepink.org/strikemay2011-3.htm

      If you wish to be removed from these occasional updates please let me know.

      Warm Regards,

      Marti Kheel, Nature Ethics: An Ecofeminist Perspective. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield, 2008.
      To learn more about Nature Ethics, upcoming speaking engagements, and other news, visit my website,www.Martikheel.com