Re: [SFVeg] New VEGAN-certified Tenderloin Thai-style Restaurant

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2005
      This is a great example of misleading advertising. Although the Mekong restaurant might advertise itself as "Certified 100%-Pure Vegan," it is, in fact, not a vegan or veggie restaurant. They do serve vegan dishes but there is an extensive menu of real meat items, thus making it a mixed restaurant, not a vegan one like Millennium or a near vegan one like Golden Era. I don't mean to imply that folks shouldn't go there, but please be aware that, if you do, you are not supporting a vegan or veggie restaurant and SF has already lost three real vegan (Urban Forage chain) and one real veggie restaurant (Kaleva) this year alone.

      It's great to have another restaurant with vegan options, but I hope we won't allow our real veggie restaurants to go out of business.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2005
        I regret that my earlier post on this subject was misunderstood. I never meant to emply that folks should not support mixed veggie/non-veggie restaurants if they wish. The fact that more and more non-veg restaurants are offering veggie alternatives is a great victory for the movement and I applaud it.

        However, some of us do not like to smell burning animal flesh while we try to enjoy our veggie dinners and others do not wish to support mixed restaurants when true veg restaurants are going out of business.

        For those reasons, I urge those who plan group veggie meal outings and those who post promotions of mixed veggie/non-veggie restaurants to simply inform folks if a restaurant has a mixed menu so that we can all make informed choices of where to dine.

        Thanks for your consideration.