New VEGAN-certified Tenderloin Thai-style Restaurant

  • RhonHern
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2005
      Hey gang!

      You all may already have heard about the humble but delicious Mekong Restaurant in the Tenderly-loin. I had seen just another Thai restaurant sign along O'Farrell in passing on the 38. My curiosity paid off when I saw in proud print "Certified 100%-Pure Vegan".

      Even I was fooled. It's been ages since my last cow-down so I could not believe that the garlic beef was "a la veg". Mock meats I had only found across the bay or at Golden Era. The entire menu (except the seafood items,.....not sure about desserts yet) are vegan, made of soy, gluten, seitan, tempeh, etc.....no more boring tofu!

      Prices are about $8.50 for a dish and rice. Hours are 'til 1am (thank you!!!!! We have Millennium for fine dining, Golder Era for affordable hearty meals, and now Mekong for that late night dinner). They are located a block and a half from AMC 1000 at 719 O'Farrell @ Larkin.

      Their website is www.mekong.us

      ATTENTION TO GROUP DISCOUNT/RESTAURANT LIST COORDINATOR: Please have them added to our list!!!

      RhonHern

    • Pete
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2005
        This is a great example of misleading advertising. Although the Mekong restaurant might advertise itself as "Certified 100%-Pure Vegan," it is, in fact, not a vegan or veggie restaurant. They do serve vegan dishes but there is an extensive menu of real meat items, thus making it a mixed restaurant, not a vegan one like Millennium or a near vegan one like Golden Era. I don't mean to imply that folks shouldn't go there, but please be aware that, if you do, you are not supporting a vegan or veggie restaurant and SF has already lost three real vegan (Urban Forage chain) and one real veggie restaurant (Kaleva) this year alone.

        It's great to have another restaurant with vegan options, but I hope we won't allow our real veggie restaurants to go out of business.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2005
          Pete,

          Thank you for your input but I personally believe that my contribution to the group's common information networking was simply to inform us that there is another option out there for all of us to discover and/or enjoy. I think you've exceeded your boundaries by being political. The other restaurants failed because we as whole were not enough to make it profitably feasible for the owners to stay in business. A so-called "mixed" restaurant may be more interesting when one considers a the broader demography of clients. Might I add that I can dine with family or non-vegan friends at establishments that are "semi"-vegetarian/vegan. This allows carnivores to potentially experience the quality of food we have and hopefully encourage their conversion. Your comment on not "supporting" vegan/vegetarian restaurant was unwise and inappropriate to my email's intention which was how wonderful it is that non-vegetarian business owners are even out there to provide us what we are (or I am,
          speaking for myself) willing to pay good money for. Your idealist conceit of "real veggie" places would and could only be supported by "real veggies" like you and me...but are we enough to support at least three restaurants in this city?

          Sorry to all for the tirade

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2005
            I regret that my earlier post on this subject was misunderstood. I never meant to emply that folks should not support mixed veggie/non-veggie restaurants if they wish. The fact that more and more non-veg restaurants are offering veggie alternatives is a great victory for the movement and I applaud it.

            However, some of us do not like to smell burning animal flesh while we try to enjoy our veggie dinners and others do not wish to support mixed restaurants when true veg restaurants are going out of business.

            For those reasons, I urge those who plan group veggie meal outings and those who post promotions of mixed veggie/non-veggie restaurants to simply inform folks if a restaurant has a mixed menu so that we can all make informed choices of where to dine.

            Thanks for your consideration.