"Oprah Went Vegan!" Viewing Party in SF on 2/1!

  • beetsnotmeats
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2011
      Folks, please come to this and/or help spread the word. We need to pack the house for the news folks!

      We have received some amazing raffle prizes! Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Cookbooks, Cinnaholic gift certificates, unique prizes from Never Felt Better Vegan Shop in Sacramento, Harvey's Restaurant Gift Certificate, VegNews subscription and gift basket, catered-in-your-home Romantic Dinner for Two from Oakland's Local Love, Private Cooking Class from Jesse Miner, and more are on the way!

      Thanks so much! See you Tuesday! ~ Chris

      A Gathering of Joyful Vegans

      Alright vegans, it's our time to come together and party!! On Tuesday, February 1st at 4:00 p.m., Oprah is airing an episode in which she features herself and 378 of her staffers going vegan for one week! Featuring Kathy Freston and Michael Pollan, the show will also take viewers into a beef "processing" plant.

      When Ellen came out on her TV show, the local lesbian community was so proud and happy that... they organized viewing parties to watch and revel together. Their joy over being recognized and acknowledged was turned into parties that made their own news. Local news affiliates covered the events, and a local party even made the front page of the next day's Chronicle.

      As vegans, we can and should do something similar, by coming together to watch and truly celebrate as one of the world's most influential figures shines a light on us. We should savor this moment together and we should use it for the opportunity it is. We have a chance to show the world what a room full of happy, healthy, thriving vegans looks like. If you've ever wished vegans could get a bigger platform, know that this is it! It's never going to be bigger than this!

      Harvey's restaurant in the Castro in San Francisco, has graciously agreed to host our "coming out" party. They have the perfect space with multiple TV sets and vegan menu items made from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's recipes. We'll watch the show together, eat tasty food, have a raffle with great prizes, and afterward we'll discuss the show with Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.

      We're hopeful that we'll be able to get some local news coverage and even more hopeful that it might get Oprah's attention. We want her to know about our energetic, joyful community of active engaged vegans. Once the news folks realize we're filling the restaurant with happy, excited vegans and we're having local vegan luminaries discuss the show afterward, they'll want to be there. After all, we have many of the brightest lights in veganism shining right here in our local Bay Area community, including VegNews Magazine, In Defense of Animals, PETA, San Francisco Vegetarian Society, and Compassionate Cooks - among others!

      We're asking folks to get there by 3:30 latest to settle in (we're expecting a packed house) and prepare to watch the show at 4:00. You can order food during the show, but you're also invited to stick around for dinner (all vegan items will be 10% off!), FREE cookies (big thanks to Eat Pastry!), and the Q & A afterward.

      See you Tuesday!
    • beetsnotmeats
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2011
        Sorry I forgot these on the original post.

        The facebook page for the Oprah Viewing Party:
        (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=142582112468346)
        Please RSVP here if you have a facebook account. We really want to be able to
        show the media that we're expecting a large crowd!

        And the Oprah page about the show:
        (http://www.oprah.com/showinfo/Oprah-and-378-Staffers-Go-Vegan-The-One-Week-Challenge#comments)
        Please go there and leave positive comments about how being vegan has impacted
        your life. Initially, the majority of the comments were pro-vegan, but now that
        more folks have found out about it there are happy meat and anti-veg comments
        being left. Let's help ensure those message forums stay positive!

        Thanks again! I can't wait for tomorrow! ~ Chris