Beginning vegetarian is demoralized/Chez Panisse and Foie Gras

  • kateharperdesigns
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2005
      I am a new vegetarian and I bought Alice Waters vegetable
      cookbook recently and I knew it has some meat recipes in it, but
      I was shocked to find recipes for foie Gras in it! Especially from
      a woman who is supposed to have a reputation as progressive,
      responsible person who has a committment to community
      farming. The idea that she would promote people to cook
      recipes with Foie Gras is shocking to me.

      After sending email to her and getting no response, I, being
      someone who has no experience confronting people on these
      issues, went to talk to the Chef at Chez Panisse.

      While he was friendly and respectful to me, the main point he
      made was: There are other meat recipes in the book and
      why am I not upset about them instead? (I said I am)--He said
      Foie Gras is just in the media spotlight at the moment, and
      there are much worse animal issues than this in the beef and
      pork industry.

      I walked away demoralized and stressed out. I felt like I just got
      myself upset and felt ineffective in trying to make a difference.

      How do you do it?
    • Maidawg
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 17, 2005
        Kate Kateharp@..., I have been involved in activism for a long time.
        Non-vegetarians unfortunately are not generally reachable on the
        compassion issue. You can make more of a difference reaching people on
        the health and environmental benefits and downplaying the rest. Once
        people become vegetarianism they don't have the defenses against guilt
        that builds up from not eating compassionately. They are then free to
        face those issues that have been repressed from early childhood.

        from Maida, Citizens for Pets in Condos: http://www.PetsinCondos.org