Nov. 12: Food Movements Unite! at UC Berkeley

  • carmen_cebs
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2010
      Food Movements Unite: Challenges for the Local-Global Transformation of our Food Systems upcoming panel discussion at UC Berkeley
      Friday, November 12, 2010 - Noon-1:30 P.M.
      Location:
      University of California, Berkeley, Morgan Lounge, Morgan Hall (1st Floor)
      Food Movements Unite! Challenges for the Local-Global Transformation of our Food Systems
      A panel discussion with Raj Patel, Nora McKeon and Nikki Henderson on the challenges for uniting food movements around the world into a force powerful enought to transform our food system. Panelists will be on hand for conversation and book signing after the discussion.
      Panelists:
      Raj Patel, Food First Policy Fellow, is researcher, activist and author of Stuffed and Starved, Food Rebellions, and The Value of Nothing
      Nora McKeon is the author of The United Nations and Civil Society: Legitimating Global Governance--Whose Voice?
      Nikki Henderson, Executive Director of People's Grocery in Oakland, CA, is an environmental justice and food justice activist
      Schedule:
      12:00-12:15 Welcome/Introduction (Miguel Altieri, UCB)
      12:15-12:25: The Corporate Food Regime: Impacts North and South (Raj Patel)
      12:25-12:35: Food Justice Movements in the US (Nikki Henderson)
      12:35-12:45; Civil Society, Global governance, and Food system change (Nora McKeon)
      12:45- 1:00: Questions and Comments from audience
      1:00- 1:05: Summary/Conclusions (Eric Holt-Gimenez, Food First)
      1;05- 1:30: Book signing, conversation, refreshments
      Co-sponsors include Food First, the Center for the Study of the Americas, the Laboratory for Agroecology UCB and Pesticide Action Network North America.
      http://www.foodfirst.org/en/node/3171