Healthy Diet: Proven Program That Prevents Violence & Bullying In School's

  • Scott Munson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2010

      The following is a partial copy paste from:
      The Feingold Association of the United States

      Just prior to the beginning of the program, Greg Bretthauer was offered
      the job of dean of students at the school. What he saw were teens who
      were "rude, obnoxious, and ill mannered" and he turned the job down.

      Because the school had so many problems with discipline and weapons
      violations a police officer was recruited to be on the staff. He found a
      school that was out of control.Today Greg is the dean of students in
      an atmosphere that is vastly different from what he saw in 1997.

      The story of the Appleton project has been documented on a short DVD,
      Impact of Fresh, Healthy Foods on Learning and Behavior. It is also part
      of their Roadmap to Healthy Foods in School, and both are available
      from Natural Press, 1-877-629-8398.

      Principal LuAnn Coenen is amazed at the change she has seen in her school. Each year principals are required to file a report with the state of Wisconsin, detailing the number of students who have: dropped out, been expelled, been found using drugs, carrying weapons or who have committed suicide. Since the start of the program, she reported, the numbers in every category have been "zero."

      Mary Bruyette, a teacher at the high school, believes "If you've been guzzling Mountain Dew and eating chips and you're flying all over the place I don't think you're going to pick up a whole lot in class." She reports that the students are now calm and well behaved. "I don't have to deal with the daily discipline issues; that just isn't an issue here."

      Mary goes on to say, "Our biggest problems now at the school are parking in the parking lot and student tardiness. I don't have the disruptions in class or the difficulties with student behavior that I experienced before we started the food program."

      Students who previously had been headed for trouble have turned their lives around, according to Dr. Thomas Scullen, Superintendent of the Appleton Area School District. He told the interviewer, "We have kids who have had a lot of problems and got through the whole last year without an expulsion. Drop-outs dropped to non-existent. Kids came to school. They have learned that with healthier foods it's going to make them a better person. It keeps them more focused and makes them happier."

      Dr. Scullen had expected that the healthy diet would improve behavior, but he was pleasantly surprised that it has had such an impact on academic performance.

      Mary Bruyette can demand more, academically, from the students than she previously had. Now she can use all of the class period for instruction.

      The high school's counselor, Deb Larson, says, "I don't have the angry outbursts so instead we get to deal with the real issues that are underlying and causing some of the problems in the kid's lives."

      Why don't other schools try this approach?

      Typically, while school dietitians want children to eat healthier food, they are convinced such efforts will be futile, and if students cannot get their fast food in the cafeteria they will buy it off campus. This does not appear to have been a problem in Appleton, where the food is not only natural, it is prepared with care; Natural Ovens made sure of this by hiring and training the cooks for the school.

      Like children on the Feingold Program, once these teens have made the connection between food, behavior and learning, they tend to prefer to enjoy the benefits. One student said, "I really like the food. It tastes good, it's hot, it's fresh."

      One girl commented, "Now that I concentrate I think it is easier to get along with people 'cause now I'm paying attention to what they have to say and not just worrying about what I have to say to them." Another student said, "If you're going for a big test you want to eat great."

      The on-campus policeman, Dan Tauber, is able to be a role model now, instead of a disciplinarian. Students are interested in how he eats to keep in such good physical shape, and have noticed their athletic abilities have a lot to do with their diet.

      "Returning students are now the advocates for the program. The kids encourage each other," according to Mary Bruyette. "They set the example for the new kids. It works great."

      Many of the changes are being phased in to Appleton's middle and elementary schools. Candy machines are gone and pop machines are being replaced with juice machines or water coolers. There is a district-wide commitment to healthier eating and lifestyle in general.

      Even in schools where more modest changes have been made, there are some real differences. Gary Van Lankvelt, principal of the Einstein Middle School, has seen "more calmness and less bouncy activity. Students seem to be more alert and focused."

      Madison Middle School's principal, Fred Ginnochio says the students are buying the healthier a la carte items and more are using the salad bar. He has found when the kids are in the halls "we have not had one incident all year that I have had to get involved in with shoving, a fight, aggressive behavior."

      Dr. Scullen sees an eventual switchover in all of Appleton's schools. "It can take several years to make the transition. The program will sell itself on its own merits, given the time. I think instead of looking at the food program as a "break-even" we have to take a look at what do we have to put in to make it really good for the kids."

      What about increased cost?

      Natural Ovens underwrote the cost for their 5 year study that will eventually impact 200 Wisconsin schools. The price to turn the problem around was $20,000 a year. Natural Ovens President, Dr. Barbara Reed Stitt, noted that "one child arrested would cost the schools more."

      Dr. Scullen believes, "if it results in a happier kid, improved learning, and ultimately a better community then it's a cost we cannot avoid. It's something we must do."

      Says Dan Tauber "Let's invest in the kids now, financially, with food versus invest in them later, financially, with 'how do we correct the problems we have because they are not eating healthy?'"

      "Nutrition for students should be part of the general operating budget" according to Mary Bruyette. "We're concerned about everything else. We're concerned about new band uniforms. We're concerned about the football team. We're concerned about text books. Why not be concerned about nutrition? That seems to me the basis in many cases for creating a positive learning environment."

      LuAnn Coenen says "I can't buy the argument that it's too costly for schools to provide good nutrition for their students. I found that one cost will reduce another. I don't have the vandalism. I don't have the litter. I don't have the need for high security." "We've got to stop using our most precious commodity -- our kids -- to make extra money."

      End of parrtial copy / paste from:

      The Feingold Association of the United States
      Contact information

      Feingold Association of the United States
      37 Shell Road, 2nd Floor
      Rocky Point, NY 11778

      1-800-321-3287 (U.S. only)
      1-631-369-9340 (Eastern Time)
      1-631-369-2988 (FAX)

      You can see past issues of the eNews at the Archives.

      As a volunteer, you will have a chance to get more involved in Feingold by being able to vote in our annual Board elections. We will also be starting a volunteer online newsletter and bulletin board in the future to help you feel more connected. If you are knowledgeable about newsletters or bulletin boards, feel free to volunteer to help do this.

      Maybe one of the projects below would be right for you. We would provide you with any training or coaching necessary, of course, as you begin.

      1. SPEAKERS
        • You will receive materials and training to enable you to speak about Feingold to your local PTA or other groups.
        • You can find speaking opportunities on your own and/or be available when we have a request for a speaker in your area.

        • After you have had a few months experience with the Program, you can volunteer to help others starting the program in your area.

        • The Product Information Committee (PIC) volunteers contact companies to see about getting new products into our Foodlist & Shopping Guide. You would need to have a computer, email, printer, and phone.

      4. PURE FACTS
        • You could review or proof-read copy.

      5. OFFICE HELP
        • If you live close to the Rocky Point, NY, office and would like to come in and help, volunteers are needed for a number of positions.

        • Do you love to make food and serve? Once a year the Kembles offer our staff and board members wonderful foods at our annual meetings.

        • You would help with coordinating details for our annual membership and board meetings.

      End of  Volunteer Information
      Partial copy and paste from
      The Feingold Association of the United States

      About this e-mail and my intentions:

      This also concerns situations like the October 10, 2007
      Success Tech alternative high school shooting
      in Cleveland, Ohio

      As well as my independent research on
      Suicide - Homicide and the Biochemistry of Crime

      In general, the above blog is theory and research
      from my own observations and experiences.

      Tom Krohmer
      Environmental Technologist - Ordained Minister
      The Toxic Reverend - Revelations
      No known relationship to Jon Krohmer MD
      Chief Medical Officer of Homeland Security
      Doctors Without Morals,
      Medical professionals, national security and domestic torture
      by Leonard Rubenstein & Stephen Xenakis
      March 1, 2010 by The New York Times

      Tom Krohmer
      Twitter Toxic Reverend
      The Toxic Reverend - Myspace
      Justice Is Homeless
      Tracking the Money Trail of Homeless Criminalization

      Toxic Revelations; Censored information on
      biological weapons and the health care
      industry The censored rough draft had
      been re-posted, but has been censored again
      and some versions are even censored at the archives
      An incomplete version is
      Toxic Revelations
      Rough draft
      Toxic Revelations
      Editing, link updating and research in progress at

      Database lists illnesses with toxic chemicals
      that can cause them is now linked in with a
      review and comments at :>

      Homicide Charges For Corporations
      No More Red Collar Crime

      Peer Reviewed Medical Journal on Chronic
      Illnesses, cancers and Stealth Infections
      from Bio-weapons of the non-lethal variety
      The Gulf War Vets
      have posted
      "Beyond Treason"

      Fun SF events: http://planttrees.org

      Please help with sale space: FREE ITEMS for your rummage sale: benefit your non profit! scott at planttrees dot org 415 269 7738
      Maybe you just need RENT MONEY. Do you have a sidewalk in a high traffic area? I have FREE stuff to sell if you have space!
      Also need help printing PLANT TREES tshirts: have ink + shirts / screen but no print shop / heater / space to print...

      The Story of Your Enslavement

      The Video BP & Big Oil Don't Want You to See
      More videos: http://www.youtube.com/alienscientist
      EXCELLENT VIDEO: Showing the structural connection of banksters, Federal Reserve, political system, down thru BP oil spill

      Crash Course Chapter 3: Exponential Growth Chapter 4: Compounding Is The Problem are you prepared?
      If you only watch one chapter, start with chapter 16: fuzzy numbers

      33 Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be True, What Every Person Should Know... http://bit.ly/74BIA9