smart meter petition and update

  • Dixie Mahy
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2010
      SMART METER PETITION & UPDATE
      from Marti Kheel

      Dear Friends,

      The citizen revolt against smart meters continues! Currently, close to twenty city councils, counties, and government representatives have called for a moratorium or ban on the installation and activation of smart meters. The problems with the meters continue to mount and include electrical interference (including ground fault interrupters), privacy issues, security risks, fires (yes, there is a possibility that smart meters contributed to the San Bruno fire and there is several organizations that have demanded an investigation), and multiple health problems, including insomnia, head aches, ear ringing, heart palpitations and seizures. Sadly, a number of people I know are being forced to leave their homes since they can no longer bear the high levels of emf produced by the meters. Please take a minute (really just 30 seconds!) to sign the following petition that calls for a state wide moratorium. It really could really make a difference. We are trying to reach 10000 signatures

       http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/moratorium-on-wireless-smartmeters-in-the-state-of-california/

      Once you have signed, please ask your friends and family to sign as well.

      I have also started a group called El Cerrito Residents Against Smart Meters (ECASM) which has submitted a letter to the El Cerrito City council members calling for a moratorium on smart meters. El Cerrito is not exactly a bastion of progressive thought (they were the only east bay city that refused to call for a moratorum on spraying for the light brown apple moth, but hope springs eternal! On October 18 there will an El Cerrito City Council meeting. Smart Meters are not on the agenda at the moment, but anyone can speak up during the open comments part of the meeting. If you have any friends who live in El Cerrito please encourage them to attend the meeting and voice their concerns about smart meters. Comments can also be made by those who live in other cities. The meeting begins at 7:30 in the Council Chambers in the new City Hall, 10890 San Pablo Ave (between Schmidt & Manila).

      If you would like further background information on smart meters and their multiple problems I encourage you to check out the great website, emfsafetynetwork.org. And if you haven't gotten a smart meter yet please be sure to download a DO NOT INSTALL sign on the emfsafetynetwork.org website and put it on your gas and electric meters. At this point, the company installing the meters (Wellington) will not install meters where they see the signs (although the long term plan is to force everyone to have them). I have also attached a document that lists strategies that some people have used to get their meters removed (a few people have succeeded when they complained about some symptoms that they were experiencing after the meters were installed). Please be sure to report any symptoms that you may be experiencing to info@.... I am also attaching some flyers about smart meters that you can print and distribute. PG&E's record on public safety has now become public knowledge. Let's make sure that they don't get away with another disaster!

      Warm Regards,

      Marti
      --
      Marti Kheel, Nature Ethics: An Ecofeminist Perspective. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield, 2008.
      To learn more about Nature Ethics, upcoming speaking engagements, and other news, visit my website, www.Martikheel.com