Re: [SFVS] Puff Pastry, Souffles, and Cheese

  • wordybirdy05-home@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
      here you go.. buon apetito!

      --- On Thu, 9/2/10, Adrian Maestas <giantsizeflower@...> wrote:

      From: Adrian Maestas <giantsizeflower@...>
      Subject: Re: [SFVS] Puff Pastry, Souffles, and Cheese
      To: SFVeg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, September 2, 2010, 10:02 AM

      Send me your vegan quiche recipe, I'd love to try it!

      From: beetsnotmeats <marcleton@...>
      Subject: [SFVS] Puff Pastry, Souffles, and Cheese
      To: SFVeg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 9:16 AM

      Just an fyi, Pepperidge Farm puff pastry IS vegan. It may not be he healthiest, purest thing out there, but it is what a lot of home chefs use...and so can you, because it's VEGAN!

      Also, if you like souffles and think it's impossible to have a vegan one, you've obviously never heard of Madeleine Bistro in Los Angeles (http://www.madeleinebistro.com/index.html). I just read about their souffles again last night on Melisser's (of Sugar beat Sweets) blog (http://www.theurbanhousewife.com/?p=672). Have a look at her blog for a pic. Granted, L.A. isn't where you want to go every time you need (?) a souffle, but I mention it just to make the point that it can be done.

      Speaking of Sugar Beat Sweets, they have made me some of the most delectable baked goods I've ever had. To say that it's impossible to make vegan pastries that are as good as non-vegan, is—in my opinion—to not actually have tried all that are on offer in the Bay Area. My partner and I purchased a wedding cake and cupcakes (from SBS) as a gift for some (non-vegan) friends who married last year. We were 2 of just 6 vegans at the affair attended by over 100. Not one single non-vegan suspected the cakes were any different from ones they'd have at any other wedding. In fact, everyone went back for seconds, the venue staff was caught stealing cakes in the kitchen, and one guest nearly started a fight because she simply refused to believe the cake she was eating was vegan.

      Also, cheese is (again, in my opinion) the worst animal product you could be eating. In terms of cruelty, you'd be better off eating steaks daily. Cesar Chavez said it and so do I. The entire veal industry exists *because* of the dairy industry. Female cows used for milk production endure a longer, more torturous, and pain-filled life than any other "food" animal. They are forcibly "raped" to be inseminated, their babies are repeatedly ripped from them which causes them to mourn in unbearable (often to the humans who work with them and must listen to their cries) ways. After having all the calcium leached from their bodies after years of producing more milk than they were ever meant to, they are left with such brittle bones they must be dragged to slaughter. There they join all the other spent dairy cows (who never lived naturally, went outside, or knew their children) in the giant death/meat pile America enjoys as hamburgers. There are many more horrifying details about cheese production, I'm not going to lay them all out, but they're readily available.

      One last thing I will mention though is the fact that cheese contains a carcinogen. Did you know that? Did you know it's the very thing that makes it addictive, and creates that morphine-like, never-gonna-give-it-up reaction in you? As soon as you give it up, your body starts adjusting and ceases to crave it in a very short period of time. I've never met a vegan that didn't claim to LOVE cheese at one time. I ate it daily (at multiple meals) when I was vegetarian for 18 years before going vegan. I thought it was my right. But if our bodies didn't adjust and the cravings didn't dissipate, do you really think there would be ANY vegans?

      Just my .02.
      ~ Chris