Re: [SFVS] Greens Restaurant

  • Adrian Maestas
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2010
      I've tried those kinds of recipes, and really, they fell way short when you use tofu or tofutti instead of butter and cheese. I've tried doing it with a blend of oil and tofu, soy creamer and tofu, stuff like that, and the souffle falls flat. I was vegan for several years, and these types of vegan pastry dishes just suck. I don't really drink milk, but I do eat cheese. Especially Gruyere, Fontina and a nice sharp chedder. Herbed goat cheese is also one of my favorites to enjoy with a glass of wine.

      Thanks for the recipes though!

      From: Adrian Maestas <giantsizeflower@...>
      To: SFVeg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2010, 10:22 AM

      Well I stopped driving years ago, ride my bike everywhere.
      Rode to Santa Cruz and back a few weeks ago, thinking about riding up to Mendocino over the 3 day weekend.

      But mostly postulating, that cheese to me is more important than many other terrible things we are facing these days. I'll give up many things before I give up cheese.

      From: Mitch Cohen <redbeerd@...>
      To: sfveg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, August 30, 2010, 11:36 PM

      there are omnivores who are in the front lines fighting against factory-farming. their reasons & ultimate goals are clearly different than ours. however, there are more potential anti-factory-farming omnivores than there are vegans. so, if one's short-term goals include drastically reducing factory-farming, i suggest we consider the anti-factory-farming "sustainable-farming" omnivore movement, and its leading, "showcase" restaurants (chez panisse, greens, gather, encuentro) as allies in the fight against factory-farming.

      if enough consciousness & awareness can be raised to get more omnivores to consider avoiding factory-farmed products, then omnivores will have to make plant-based food a huger percentage of their diet (since there simply is NOT enough non-factory-farmed animal-based "food" available to be a big portion of their diet, and it's much more expensive).

      a message telling folks anything short of 100% vegan just turns off too many people. let others tell them to transition to non-factory-farmed "food". once omnivores are willing to make changes and listen, hopefully they'll be more willing to hear our message

      To: SFVeg@yahoogroups.com
      From: gsmith59@...
      Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:52:05 -0700

      It is for these reasons you state that I have never been there in the first
      place.

      I don't want to support a restaurant which glorifies the consumption of animal
      products as necessary for a good meal, be they from abused or from dead
      animals.

      When I transitioned from omnivore to a vegan diet the first thing I quit was
      dairy, and the second thing I quit was eggs. Only then did I say "what the
      heck" and went all the way to vegan.

      What might have made some sense 150 years ago in the days of small time Farmer
      MacDonald makes no ethical sense in the current era of cruel, mechanistic
      agribusiness.

      Greg