Fw: A vegan take on "what goes around, comes around"

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      From: Emanuel Goldman
      To: VeggieJews@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 4:35 PM
      Subject: [VeggieJews] A vegan take on "what goes around, comes around"

      http://www.circleofcompassion.org/articlewhatgoesaroundcomesaround.htm

      What Goes Around Comes Around
      by Will Tuttle, Ph.D

      One of the fundamental ideas found throughout the world's religions and
      emphasized by spiritual teachers of many times and cultures is that in the
      big picture we inevitably reap what we sow. We are all connected, after
      all, and to the degree we love, give to, and bless others, we will
      ourselves experience being loved, given to, and blessed. The same is true
      of harming and using others. This idea has gone by many names, including
      karma and the Golden Rule, and in our culture it's usually been applied to
      our relations with people, but not with animals because, well, we've been
      raised to believe that animals don't matter much.

      We're learning, though, that animals - particularly the food animals we
      slaughter by the billions - are profoundly capable of physical and
      emotional suffering, and in light of this, it's remarkable to see how our
      mistreatment of them boomerangs back to us, just like the old "as you sow,
      so shall ye reap" adage would predict.

      For example, we pump huge quantities of drugs into millions of defenseless
      animals, and as a culture we find ourselves experiencing drug abuse, drug
      dependence, and all the perils of living in a society increasingly drugged
      with both medical prescriptions and illicit substances. We force farmed
      animals to live in extremely polluted environments, breathing noxious air,
      living in their own waste, and eating contaminated feed, and we find
      ourselves living increasingly in our own waste as our air becomes more
      polluted and our water and food are increasingly contaminated.

      Looking further, we can see the chickens coming home to roost in virtually
      every aspect of our shared cultural reality: we force food animals into
      cages, and we find that more and more of us live in gated communities,
      behind bars and locks, or in prisons, with prison construction being one
      of the biggest growth industries in America today. We torture them by the
      millions and we find Amnesty International reporting that human torture of
      other humans is at an all-time high. Forcing horror on animals, we find
      horror in the mass media and in popular entertainment increasing. As we
      kill animals for food at a young age, we find child and teen suicide
      skyrocketing. As we terrorize animals in slaughterhouses and in laboratory
      experiments on fear, we find our own chronic fear increasing, along with
      terrorism. As we force them to be fat, diseased, overcrowded, afraid, and
      stressed out, we become the same.

      You can probably think of many more examples. Animals are lined up to be
      stabbed, one after another, and in today's high-volume cardiac units,
      people who have eaten many animals line up to be stabbed, one after
      another. Ultimately, what we do to animals we do to ourselves. Though
      animals cannot retaliate like people can, our violence toward them itself
      retaliates.

      Scientists are hard at work now breeding food animals that will be as
      dull, insensitive, and controllable as possible, in order to better
      survive the unimaginable pain and stress they are forced to endure on
      factory farms. They want to create animals with minimal feelings and
      awareness, animals born with broken spirits, with no zest for life and
      with no purpose other than to serve the ends of their dominators. That
      would be good for business. Are these really the seeds we want to be
      sowing?

      As a culture, we're called to ponder deeply the wisdom of the Golden Rule
      before it's too late, and begin to actually live it with respect to the
      animals who are at our mercy. What goes around comes around, and it's
      coming around all around us.
      ---
      Will Tuttle, Ph.D., composer, pianist, and Zen priest, is cofounder of
      Karuna Music & Art and of the Prayer Circle for Animals and Circle of
      Compassion ministry.

      Veggie Jews is an on-line and real world organization with events in local communities dedicated to supporting Jewish vegans and vegetarians of all ages and spreading vegan, vegetarian and animal rights values into the Jewish community. Our non-Jewish friends are always welcome. Please tell a friend about us. We're on the web at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/veggiejews.