Re: Bay Area's First Gourmet Cinnamon Roll Shop

  • sunny_outdoors
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2010
      ROCK and cinnaROLL! (you know who I mean…see original email)
      www.cinnaholic.com

      + Saturn both opens

      Two veg establishment opens Sat 7/17. They are located on the same block.

      Just one block from Downtown Berkeley BART on Oxford , which is right across from UC Berkeley

      http://picasaweb.google.com/sunnyoutdoors/CinnaSaturn?authkey=Gv1sRgCJavi56E5cf3qAE#
      (last 15 photos are photos of Saturn)

      Great flavors-They claim to have 31 flavors!

      These were well received: Raspberry, Almond Mocha, Lime and cookie dough (for those who love cookie dough)

      To me, cookie dough, is UGH UGH.
      However, EVERYONE who tried it, liked it!

      Just the smell of the cinnamon rolls is worth the trip. Researchers said the scent of cinnamon rolls is the most pleasurable smell on the nose. more so than roses or any flowers etc...

      (this is true research material)

      (I learned this from watching a documentary like 60 minutes)

      If you don't like too sweet, just order the plain vanilla frosting but without the pie "crumbs".

      I personally felt it was still too sweet. I told the owners if they have a few rolls with less sugar. With less sugar and vegan butter, the rolls will also have less calories!

      For those who are on a diet. just sub a roll for your breakfast, lunch or dinner.

      For those who are on a budget. Buy a roll instead of going out for a meal that day.

      oh yea, ask or wait for a warm roll....I think they are all kept warm before serving.

      This is rare, Every worker is a vegan…. Maybe one is just a veg….

      End of report for this vegan establishment.
      ==

      Saturn has a soft opening on Saturday. Just be warned the staff members are new to the kitchen and they might not be familiar with the layout.

      Service might be a bit slow.

      If you can wait, come make a trip a week later.

      http://www.saturncafe.com/

      Their REAL Grand Opening will be in August when the students are back in school.

      The owner of the Santa Cruz is also the same owner of the Berkeley restaurant. He said he'll be coming out with his homemade vegan veggie patties soon. He promised to have more vegan dishes. I told him, please please more vegan dishes.

      Photos of my VEGAN meal were:

      French fries were GREAT , especially if you order with VEGAN chipotle dipping sauce 75 cents extra but worth it. I really can't tell if it's vegan or not. (pretty exciting)

      (make sure you don't get the reg chipotle sauce)

      The fries are just as good as Loving Hut but the portions are bigger. $3 for side fries, but for a $1 more you can get a whole basket of fries

      Vegan Breakfast Burrito was good. I love the side dishes that came with it.

      Taquitos was excellent, (anything fried is excellent)

      I tasted their summer vegetable soup and was happy with it. A tiny tab bit oily but it did not overpower the taste.

      Everyone recommend the Chocolate Silk pie rather than the chocolate cake. Wow, they were right, it was like a chocolate fudge. You can tell they put a LOT of good chocolate in this pie. This is a tofu based pie. However, it definately was mostly chocolate not tofu in the pie.

      If you look at their daily soup menu, all their soups are vegan except on Sat when they have their carrot soup. We need to give him a vegan version of this soup! (You can use potatoes instead of milk to thicken this soup.)

      ==
      Veg friends,,,,

      Rock and Roll over to these 2 great places. I think this is an historical week….

      !
      Word of mouth advertisement is already causing a BIG BIG buzz about the above 2 places.

      buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

      I recommend just go try it out! that's the best way to experience it

      oh yea, I didn't even tell you about the decoration.

      This is place is pretty big. They have an area called Space Lounge where organizations can reserve the area...
      ..pretty cool

      here are the photos again

      http://picasaweb.google.com/sunnyoutdoors/CinnaSaturn?authkey=Gv1sRgCJavi56E5cf3qAE#

      A similar review will be written in the September paper newsletter issue..