Fwd: [FFA] PEACE NOW!: A vegan rap poem

  • Paris Harvey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2005
      Kate Danaher <kdanaher@...> wrote: To:
      From: Kate Danaher
      Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:00:34 -0800
      Subject: [FFA] PEACE NOW!: A vegan rap poem

      PEACE NOW!: A vegan rap poem
      Copyright (c) 1988, 1996 by Billy Ray Boyd
      (Previous version circulated as PEACE CREEP!)

      We talk about peace, / how to find it at last
      In a world of equality / comin' to pass
      But we are the rulers, / we are the kings
      Death-squad marauders / to billions of beings

      PEACE NOW!

      They suffer and feel / like you and like me
      But they're hidden away, / we pretend we don't see
      Jammed in their cages, / restricted in crates
      Never knowin' why / until it's too late
      It's happenin' now, / they're writhing in pain
      But their screams we don't hear, / don't feel any shame
      Just smile as we shop / for their eggs and their milk
      And talk about peace / as we dine with our ilk

      PEACE NOW!

      "Justice," we cry, / "The war's gotta stop!"
      But we kill every day / from up here on top
      Our life is a joke, / our soul is all bare
      Our politics are bankrupt / because we don't care
      We think we're so radical, / we think we're so chic
      But our bleeding hearts / they absolutely reek
      Of two-faced hypocrisy / of word and of deed
      Ignorin' the sufferin' / we bring as we eat

      PEACE NOW!

      And all of our words / they sound oh so nice
      As long as we don't look / at the horrible price
      We make all the animals / pay in this war
      Of human supremacy / we wage from afar
      Stop wringin' your hands! / No crocodile tears!
      Why, animal abuse / has been happenin' for years!
      But we don't care / an' we don't mind
      We just wanna talk / about our OWN kind

      PEACE NOW!

      Human supremacy: / disease of the left
      The right, and the center, / totally bereft
      Can't stomach no prissy / concern for oppressed
      No talk about peace-- / well surely you jest!

      PEACE NOW!

      We talk of equality / a terrible bore
      Snuffin' out lives / when we go to the store
      The things that we do / talk louder than words
      And now you can see / we're really absurd
      We LIKE to have servants / and animal slaves
      And we could care less / how they go to their graves
      But a movement's afoot / and before it's too late
      Wake up, my friend, / or be left in the wake!

      PEACE NOW!

      Well, intimacy's / the word of the day
      We cuddle and hug / and that's o.k.
      But what about the animals / on our plate?
      In our lovin' minds / how do THEY rate?
      They like to touch, / play, be free
      And make sweet love / like you and me
      They don't wanna die / or be encaged
      And you ask me why / I feel enraged!

      PEACE NOW!

      If THEY did to us / like WE do to them
      We'd understand well / what now is dim
      But we've got the power, / we've got the guns
      And we've got the words / that let us run
      From reality / of what we do
      Of who we hurt, / of who we chew
      But underneath / the pretense and games
      You know it well, / we're causin' pain

      PEACE NOW!

      You're vegetarian / or so you say
      But what's that food there / on your tray:
      Breasts and legs, / dismembered parts
      Of animals killed / for you, dear heart
      Y'know chickens and fish / try to get away
      From the hook an' knife / that we pay
      For bloody work / that WE won't do
      So cop to the violence / that's done for you!

      PEACE NOW!

      And it's not for need / we know it well
      It's just a habit / we refuse to quell
      We're bound to reap / the pain we sow