SF Supervisors Urging Meat Free Mondays

  • jcadiz2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2010
      SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5 / KCBS) ―

      The San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday on a resolution urging restaurants, grocery stores and schools to observe no meat on Mondays.

      Supervisor Sophie Maxwell has been a vegetarian for 35 years and would like to see more people move toward a vegetarian diet.

      With that in mind, she introduced a resolution to declare Mondays in San Francisco as "Vegetarian Day."

      "I think San Francisco is a food town. There are a lot of vegetarian restaurants and a lot of things that people can think about," said Maxwell. "Not only bring attention to, but think about the alternatives to meat."

      Dixie Mahy, the president of the San Francisco Vegetarian Society said she thinks it's a great idea.

      "All the statistics are on our side. And we can show you that a lot of the degenerative diseases are associated with a high fat, high meat, high dairy diet," said Mahy.

      At Maxwell's urging, the supervisors also took up a resolution that commends local businesses that use cage-free eggs.