Vegan BBQ on Food Network - Beautifully Represented - Please Send Thank You!

  • Colleen A. Patrick-Goudreau/Compassionat
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      We made history last night! The segment we filmed for the Food Network show called "BBQ with Bobby Flay" aired last night and was very flattering. This was their first vegan show/segment ever aired! They depicted us very accuately and respectfully and really celebrated the food we created and shared. They even zoomed in on our bumper sticker (BE KIND TO ANIMALS - DON'T EAT THEM) on our car as we drove away from the grocery store. :)

      They were originally supposed to re-broadcast it on Jan. 8th, but I see that that date is no longer listed. So they NEED to hear from people!!

      PLEASE PLEASE send an email to the producers today thanking them for airing a vegetarian/vegan segment and for portraying us in such a positive light. Encourage them to have a vegetarian show on their network and to pass your email along to Food Network executives who will make this decision. I think it's important to remind them that the audience for a plant-based show is very large - as more people eat vegetables than eat meat! :) Also, ask them to re-broadcast the vegan segment!

      Please write today and drop me a line so I can get an idea of how many people write to them http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_sf/text/0,1976,FOOD_17616_21388,00.html.

      For the animals,
      Colleen

      Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
      Founder & Director
      Compassionate Cooks
      P.O. Box 18512
      Oakland, CA 94619
      510.531.COOK (2665)
      colleen@...
      http://www.compassionatecooks.com

      Vegetarian Cooking Classes * Nutrition Courses * Supermarket Tours * Vegetarian Workshops * Vegetarian Cooking DVD

      "The thinking [person] must oppose all cruel customs no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another." ~Albert Schweitzer

      "Vegetarian food leaves a deep impression on our nature. If the whole world adopts vegetarianism, it can change the destiny of humankind." ~Albert Einstein

      "Don't do nothing because you can't do everything. Do Something. Anything." ~Sasha

      Try Veg! http://www.tryveg.com

    • brian wesenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2004
        hello,

        i think this is great. i went to the website to look
        at how they described it and i was not thrilled with
        the title of that particular title:

        BBQ with Bobby Flay Episode BQ1B07
        "Crazy Qs"
        Join Bobby Flay as he checks out some of the craziest
        BBQs around! From an Alien BBQ in New Mexico, to a Gas
        Station BBQ in Oklahoma, to a Vegan BBQ in California,
        to a Solar BBQ!

        i have written the food network, requesting more
        vegan/vegetarian shows and/or segments. but maybe we
        can also ask for these future vegetarian segments not
        be lumped into a "crazy ..." show title? i am a
        little offended in this way, though happy to see a
        non-meat option presented on national television.

        not meaning to be discouraging,
        brian

        --- "Colleen A. Patrick-Goudreau/Compassionate Cooks"

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Thea Langsam
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2004
          Colleen Patrick-Goudreau asked us to write to the Food Network http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_sf/text/0,1976,FOOD_17616_21388,00.html
          to let them know that we appreciated the vegan segment on BBQ with Bobby Flay. I did so and also mentioned how charming Colleen is and suggested that they build a show around her. I hope others will write something similar about Colleen because I think the Food Network is all the more likely to start a veg show if we make it clear not only that we want a veg show generally but also that the station has the opportunity to feature a veg chef who will attract viewers with her personality and style as well as her delicious recipes. Just my thought. :)
          Thea