Common Circle Education

  • Dixie Mahy
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2010

      From: "Common Circle Education"

      Subject: Joanna Macy - The Work That Reconnects - Berkeley Event

      Friends,

      We hope you will be able to join us for this incredible workshop with the noted scholar of Buddhist, deep ecology and general systems theory Joanna Macy.  The workshop will introduce The Work That Reconnects.
      "The most remarkable feature of this historical moment on Earth
      is not that we are on the way to destroying the world-we've actually been on the way for quite a while. It is that we are beginning to wake up, as from a millennia-long sleep, to a whole
      new relationship to our world, to ourselves and each other."

      What:   Introduction to The Work That Reconnects            Social Permaculture - Art of Community Workshop

      Who:    Joanna Macy (www.joannamacy.net)

      When:  February 14th - 10-6pm (lunch break between 1-2pm)

      Where: Common Circle Education - Berkeley
               2130 Center Street - commoncircle.com/berkeley

      Cost:    $95 (before February 10th)
             $145 (after February 10th)         Need-based scholarships available - e-mail for
             more information.

      Sign up online:  http://commoncircle.com/wtrevent

      The Work That Reconnects is a pioneering form of group work that began in the 1970s. It demonstrates our interconnectedness in the web of life and our authority to take action on its behalf.

      It has helped many thousands around the globe find insight,
      solidarity, and courage to act, despite rapidly worsening conditions. Based on systems theory, spiritual teachings, and
      deep ecology, its methods are described in Coming Back to Life, the book Joanna Macy wrote with Molly Young Brown.

      "If the world is to be healed through human efforts, I am
      convinced it will be by ordinary people, people whose love for this life is even greater than their fear." - Joanna Macy

      Eco-philosopher Joanna Macy, Ph.D., is a scholar of Buddhism, general systems theory, and deep ecology. A respected voice in movements for peace, justice, and ecology, she interweaves her scholarship with four decades of activism. She has created a ground-breaking theoretical framework for personal and social change, as well as a powerful workshop methodology for its
      application.

      Her wide-ranging work addresses psychological and spiritual issues of the nuclear age, the cultivation of ecological awareness, and the fruitful resonance between Buddhist thought and contemporary science.

      Many thousands of people around the world have participated in Joanna's workshops and trainings. Her group methods, known as the Work That Reconnects, have been adopted and adapted yet more widely in classrooms, churches, and grassroots organizing. Her work helps people transform despair and apathy, in the face of overwhelming social and ecological crises, into constructive, collaborative action. It brings a new way of seeing the world, as our larger living body, freeing us
      from the assumptions and attitudes that now threaten the
      continuity of life on Earth.