Shrimp's Dirty Secrets: a Health and Environmental Nightmare

  • Sage, Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2010

      -----Original Message-----
      From: terry koch [terrykoch1@...]
      Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:30 AM
      To: southbayveggies@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SouthBayVeggies] Shrimp's Dirty Secrets: a Health and Environmental Nightmare

      Everywhere we look, there are growing reasons to go veg!

      Shrimp's Dirty Secrets: Why America's Favorite Seafood Is a Health and Environmental Nightmare

      The environmental impact of shrimp can be horrific. But most Americans don't know where their shrimp comes from or what's in it.

      by Jill Richardson

      Americans love their shrimp. It's the most popular seafood in the country, but unfortunately much of the shrimp we eat are a cocktail of chemicals, harvested at the expense of one of the world's productive ecosystems. Worse, guidelines for finding some kind of "sustainable shrimp" are so far nonexistent.

      In his book, Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood, Taras Grescoe paints a repulsive picture of how shrimp are farmed in one region of India. The shrimp pond preparation begins with urea, superphosphate, and diesel, then progresses to the use of piscicides (fish-killing chemicals like chlorine and rotenone), pesticides and antibiotics (including some that are banned in the U.S.), and ends by treating the shrimp with sodium tripolyphosphate (a suspected neurotoxicant), Borax, and occasionally caustic soda…….

    • Christopher Pincetich
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2010
        If that shrimp is not farmed in a pool of sludge, then turtles are likely killed in the nets of the shrimp trawl. I want to give you all the opportunity to Take Action to protect and save sea turtles from deadly fishing hooks!
        PLEASE click-through on the links below to sign our petitions or if they don't work go to
        http://www.seaturtles.org

        Support the creation of strong, protective critical habitat for the endangered leatherback sea turtle off CA, OR, and WA coasts. The current habitat proposal falls short of true protections, speak out to make it stronger!

        End the drownings of loggerhead sea turtles in the Gulf of Mexico from the deadly bottom longline fishery. We forced them to close it, and they want to re-open it allow over 1,000 sea turtle captures in the next 3 years by this deadly fishery. Speak out and tell NOAA to keep it closed!

        I am happy to answer any questions about these campaigns you may have. The Sea Turtle Restoration Project led the global effort more than a decade ago to require the use of TEDs or Turtle Excluder Devices on shrimp nets. The TEDs are required but inspections and oversight borders on non-existent. Join us in our fight to bring back sea turtles from the brink of extinction!

        For the turtles,

        Chris

        Christopher Pincetich, Ph.D.
        Campaign Leader, Sea Turtle Restoration Project
        (415) 663-8590, ext. 102
        P.O. Box 370, Forest Knolls, CA 94933 USA
        Location: 9255 Sir Francis Drake Blvd, Olema, CA 94950
        Visit our WEB sites: