Avoid Plastics !!! Human placenta cells die after BPA exposure - hormesis

  • Scott Munson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2010
      From: Teresa Binstock <binstock@...>
      Date: Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:58 AM
      Subject: [EF!] !!! Human placenta cells die after BPA exposure - hormesis
      EarthFirstAlert-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to receive more like this

      Human placenta cells die after BPA exposure.
      <http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/newscience/human-placental-cells-die-after-bpa-exposure/>

         * 2 February 2010

           Exposure to very low concentrations of the plasticizer bisphenol A
           (BPA) causes cellular damage and death in cultured human placenta
           cells, researchers report. The doses used for this study are
           similar to blood levels found in pregnant women. Particularly
           concerning was the observation that effects were most pronounced
           at the lowest - rather than the highest - concentrations of BPA.

         *

           more...
           <http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/newscience/human-placental-cells-die-after-bpa-exposure/>

      - - - -

      */Toxic effects of low doses of Bisphenol-A on human placental cells/*

      Nora Benachoura and Aziz Aris
      Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology Volume 241, Issue 3, 15 December
      2009, Pages 322-328
      $ http://tinyurl.com/y9wqhn5

      Humans are exposed daily to a great number of xenobiotics and their
      metabolites present as pollutants. Bisphenol-A (BPA) is extensively used
      in a broad range of products including baby bottles, food-storage
      containers, medical equipment, and consumer electronics. Thus, BPA is
      the most common monomer for polycarbonates intended for food contact.
      Levels of this industrial product are found in maternal blood, amniotic
      fluid, follicular fluid, placental tissue, umbilical cord blood, and
      maternal urine. In this study, we investigated toxic effects of BPA
      concentrations close to levels found in serum of pregnant women on human
      cytotrophoblasts (CTB). These cells were isolated from fresh placentas
      and exposed to BPA for 24 h. Our results showed that very low doses of
      BPA induce apoptosis (2 to 3 times) as assessed using M30 antibody
      immunofluorescent detection, and necrosis (1.3 to 1.7 times) as assessed
      through the cytosolic Adenylate Kinase (AK) activity after cell membrane
      damage. We also showed that BPA increased significantly the
      tumor-necrosis factor alpha (TNF-?) gene expression and protein
      excretion as measured by real-time RT-PCR and ELISA luminescent test,
      respectively. Moreover, we observed that induction of AK activation and
      TNF-? gene expression require lower levels of BPA than apoptosis or
      TNF-? protein excretion. Our findings suggest that exposure of placental
      cells to low doses of BPA may cause detrimental effects, leading /in
      vivo/ to adverse pregnancy outcomes such as preeclampsia, intrauterine
      growth restriction, prematurity and pregnancy loss.