Re: [SFVeg] Eat left to eat right

  • Mahendra aka Briksha
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hey Tree Dear
      thanks for sharing this. i am going to forward to some of my Yoga budies. they need to hear this....including myself first.

      Briksha Aka Mahendra
      415.503.7802
      Certified   Integral  Coach              http://www.newventureswest.com
      Certified  Breathwork Practitioner  http://www.rebirthingbreathwork.com
      Yoga   Instructor       (Vivekananda Yoga Research Center- http://www.vyasa.org
      Raw   Vegan   Chef      http://www.treeoflife.nu

         http://www.rays-mandala.org
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PS.If you do not want to receive any email from me, please reply with remove in the subject line.  Thank you very much!

      From: bigraccoon <bigraccoon@...>
      Date: Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM
      Subject: [EF!] Eat left to eat right
      To: earthfirstalert@yahoogroups.com

      The whiter the bread, the sooner you will be dead
      This blunt bit of grandmotherly advice is a reminder of the health risks of
      white flour. People who eat lots of whole grains tend to be healthier and
      live longer.

       Avoid foods grandma wouldn't recognise
      There are now thousands of food products in the supermarket that our
      ancestors wouldn't recognise. They are processed in ways designed to get us
      to buy and eat more by pushing our evolutionary buttons (such as our inborn
      preferences for sweetness, fat and salt).

      If it came from a plant, eat it; If it was made in a plant, Don't
      It makes sense.

      Don't eat cereals that change the color of milk
      Such cereals are highly processed and full of refined carbohydrates and
      chemical additives.

      Eat your colors
      The colors of the many vegetables on your plate reflect the different
      antioxidant phytochemicals they contain. Many of these chemicals help
      protect against chronic diseases but each in a slightly different way, so
      the best protection comes from a diet containing as many different
      phytochemicals as possible.

      Eat when you're hungry, not bored
      We eat out of boredom, entertainment, to comfort or reward ourselves. One
      old wives' test: If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're not
      hungry at all.

      Eat slowly
      Eat slowly enough to savor your food: you'll need less of it to feel
      satisfied. One strategy: "Put your fork down between bites."

      Drink the veggie water
      The water in which vegetables are cooked is rich in vitamins. Save it for
      use in soups or add it to sauces.

      Avoid long lists of ingredients
      The more ingredients in a packaged food, the more highly processed it is. (A
      long list of ingredients in a recipe is not the same thing; that's fine.)

      Avoid ingredients you don't recognize
      Enhoxylated diglycerides? Cellulose? Xanthan gum? Calcium propionate?
      Ammonium sulphate? If you wouldn't cook with these additives, why let others
      use these ingredients to cook for you? The food scientists' chemistry set is
      designed to extend shelf life and make old food look fresher and more
      appetising than it really is. Whether or not any of these additives pose a
      proven hazard to your health, many of them haven't been eaten by humans for
      very long, so they are best avoided.

      Avoid food labeled Œlow-fat'
      Removing fat from foods doesn't necessarily make them non-fattening.
      Carbohydrates can also make you fat and many low-fat and non-fat foods are
      more sugary to make up for the loss of flavor. You're better off eating the
      real thing in moderation than bingeing on "light" food products packed with
      sugars and salt.

      Shop at the edges of a supermarket
      Most stores are laid out the same way: Processed foods dominate the center
      aisles while fresh foods ‹ meat, fish and dairy ‹ line the walls. The more
      processed a food, the longer the shelf life and the less nutritious it is.
      Real food is alive ‹ and, therefore, should eventually die. (One of the few
      exceptions is honey, which has a shelf life measured in centuries.)

      Only eat food cooked by humans
      In general, mass-produced food is cooked with too much salt, fat and sugar,
      along with preservatives, colorings and other biological novelties.

      Eat like the French, The Japanese, The Italians, or the Greeks
      People who eat according to the rules of a traditional food culture are
      generally healthier than those who eat a modern Western diet of processed
      foods. Pay close attention to how a culture eats and what it eats ‹ small
      portions eaten at leisurely communal meals; and no second helpings.

      It's not food if it has the same name in all languages
      Think Pringles or Big Mac.

      Include some pre-digested food
      Eat foods that have been pre-digested by bacteria or fungi, such as yogurt
      or soy sauce.

      Buy smaller plates and glasses
      The bigger the portion, the more we will eat. Supermarkets supersize
      portions to get us to buy more. But we don't have to do this at home. One
      researcher found that just switching from a 12-inch to a 10-inch dinner
      plate caused people to reduce their consumption by 22 per cent. Food sold at
      petrol stations (except perhaps for the milk and water) is all highly
      processed ‹ imperishable snack foods and extravagantly sweetened drinks.

      Try not to eat on your own
      When we eat alone, we eat more. The shared meal elevates eating from a
      biological process of fueling the body to a ritual of family and community.

      Treat treats as treats
      There's nothing wrong with special-occasion foods, as long as every day is
      not a special occasion. Chips, pastries, and ice-cream offer some of the
      great pleasures of life, so we shouldn't deprive ourselves of them but the
      sense of occasion needs to be restored. One way is to start making these
      foods yourself; you won't go to that much trouble every day. Another is to
      limit your consumption to weekends or social occasions. Some people follow a
      so-called "S policy": "No snacks, no seconds, no sweets ‹ except on days
      that begin with the letter S."

      Break the rules once in a while
      Obsessing over food rules is bad for your happiness and probably for your
      health too. There will be special occasions when you will want to throw
      these rules out of the window. All will not be lost. What matters is not the
      special occasion but the everyday practice ‹ the default habits that govern
      your eating on a typical day. "All things in moderation": It is often said
      but we should never forget the wise adendum, sometimes attributed to Oscar
      Wilde: "Including moderation."

      Stop eating before you are full
      We think it is normal to eat until you are full but many cultures
      specifically advise stopping well before that point is reached. The Japanese
      say you should stop eating when you are 80 per cent full while the Chinese
      specify 70 per cent. Thus the traditional advice: "Leave the table just a
      little bit hungry."

      Adapted from Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan.