Travis' Fran Healy goes vegetarian for Paul McCartney

  • DJ Brook
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2010
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jan/05/travis-fran-healy-paul-mccartney

      Travis' Fran Healy goes vegetarian for Paul McCartney

      The Travis frontman has thanked the former Beatle for playing on his new solo album by waving goodbye to chicken dinners

      When Travis' Fran Healy convinced Paul McCartney to play on his forthcoming solo album, he didn't pay him in money – he paid him in uneaten meat. Healy, his wife and one-year-old son have all converted to vegetarianism as a "thank-you" to the former Beatle.

      Healy revealed the unlikely arrangement in a post to his blog (via Twentyfourbit), where he is documenting his "vacation from [Travis]". Getting McCartney to play bass on one song, Healy wrote, is "one of [our] biggest coups". "Nora [Healy's wife] and I were sitting and thinking of a thank-you present and I suggested going vegetarian. Our son is already one, so it would mean we would all be on the same boat. I met Paul at his show in Berlin and told him what we wanted to do. He was visibly flabbergasted. Three days later the FedEx man delivered three Linda McCartney [vegetarian] cook books."

      Besides McCartney, Healy has also enlisted singer Neko Case and Noah and the Whale's Tom Hobden to contribute to an album he is calling Wreckorder. "I liked that it sounds like recorder but looks like wreckorder," he explained. "It definitely feels a world away from making a Travis record, [so] the order has been well and truly wrecked." Recording took place in Berlin, New York and Vermont beginning in September 2009.

      The Healy clan have thrown themselves whole, er, soy-hog into the vegetarian experiment – eating humous at Christmas dinner, chomping beetroot gnocchi in Berlin. "I haven't had any longing for meat or fish yet," Healy confessed. The next step is obvious: veganism and a cameo by Ringo.

      Eco-Eating
      www.brook.com/veg