A Cure For Cancer? Eating A Plant-Based Diet

  • Scott Munson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2009
      A Cure For Cancer? Eating A Plant-Based Diet
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/a-cure-for-cancer-eating_b_298282.html

      Kathy Freston
      Author, Health and Wellness Expert

      September 24, 2009
      A Cure For Cancer? Eating A Plant-Based Diet

      Read More: Animal Protein, Cancer, Cancer Cure, Carcinogens, Casein, Cure
      For Cancer, Health, Kathy Freston, Nutrition, Plant-Based Diet, Preventative
      Medicine, T. Colin Campbell, Living News

      I have been working closely recently with a few extraordinary nutritional
      researchers, and I find that the information they have compiled is quite eye
      opening. Interestingly, what these highly esteemed doctors are saying is
      just beginning to be understood and accepted, perhaps because what they are
      saying does not conveniently fit in with or support the multi-billion dollar
      food industries that profit from our "not knowing". One thing is for sure:
      we are getting sicker and more obese than our health care system can handle,
      and the conventional methods of dealing with disease often have harmful side
      effects and are ineffective for some patients.

      As it is now, one out of every two of us will get cancer or heart disease
      and die from it - an ugly and painful death as anyone who has witnessed it
      can attest. And starting in the year 2000, one out of every three children
      who are born after that year will develop diabetes--a disease that for most
      sufferers (those with Type 2 diabetes) is largely preventable with lifestyle
      changes. This is a rapidly emerging crisis, the seriousness of which I'm not
      sure we have yet recognized. The good news is, the means to prevent and heal
      disease seems to be right in front of us; it's in our food. Quite frankly,
      our food choices can either kill us - which mounting studies say that they
      are, or they can lift us right out of the disease process and into soaring
      health.

      In the next few months, I will share a series of interviews I've conducted
      with the preeminent doctors and nutritional researchers in the fields of
      their respective expertise. And here it is straight out: they are all saying
      the same thing in different ways and through multiple and varying studies:
      animal protein seems to greatly contribute to diseases of nearly every type;
      and a plant-based diet is not only good for our health, but it's also
      curative of the very serious diseases we face .

      Cancer

      On the subject of cancer, I've asked Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Professor
      Emeritus of Cornell University and author of the groundbreaking The China
      Study to explain how cancer happens and what we can do to prevent and
      reverse it. Dr. Campbell's work is regarded by many as the definitive
      epidemiological examination of the relationship between diet and disease. He
      has received more than 70 grant years of peer-reviewed research funding,
      much of which was funded by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH),
      and he has authored more than 300 research papers. He grew up on a dairy
      farm believing in the great health value of animal protein in the American
      diet and set out in his career to investigate how to produce more and better
      animal protein. Troublesome to his preconceived hypothesis of the goodness
      of dairy, Dr. Campbell kept running up against results that consistently
      proved an emerging and comprehensive truth: that animal protein is
      disastrous to human health.

      Through a variety of experimental study designs, epidemiological evidence,
      along with observation of real life conditions which had rational biological
      explanation, Dr. Campbell has made a direct and powerful correlation between
      cancer (and other diseases and illnesses) and animal protein. Following is a
      conversation I had with him so that I could better understand the
      association.

      KF: What happens in the body when cancer develops? What is the actual
      process?

      TCC: Cancer generally develops over a long period of time, divided into 3
      stages, initiation, promotion and progression.

      Initiation occurs when chemicals or other agents attack the genes of normal
      cells to produce genetically modified cells capable of eventually causing
      cancer. The body generally repairs most such damage but if the cell
      reproduces itself before it is repaired, its new (daughter) cell retains
      this genetic damage. This process may occur within minutes and, to some
      extent, is thought to be occurring most of the time in most of our tissues.

      Promotion occurs when the initiated cells continue to replicate themselves
      and grow into cell masses that eventually will be diagnosed. This is a long
      growth phase occurring over months or years and is known to be reversible.

      Progression occurs when the growing cancer masses invade neighboring tissues
      and/or break away from the tissue of origin (metastasis) and travel to
      distant tissues when they are capable of growing independently at which
      point they are considered to be malignant.

      KF: Why do some people get cancer, and other don't? What percentage is
      genetic, and what percentage has to do with diet?

      TCC: Although the initiated cells are not considered to be reversible, the
      cells growing through the promotion stage are usually considered to be
      reversible, a very exciting concept. This is the stage that especially
      responds to nutritional factors. For example, the nutrients from animal
      based foods, especially the protein, promote the development of the cancer
      whereas the nutrients from plant-based foods, especially the antioxidants,
      reverse the promotion stage. This is a very promising observation because
      cancer proceeds forward or backward as a function of the balance of
      promoting and anti-promoting factors found in the diet, thus consuming
      anti-promoting plant-based foods tend to keep the cancer from going forward,
      perhaps even reversing the promotion. The difference between individuals is
      almost entirely related to their diet and lifestyle practices.

      Although all cancer and other diseases begin with genes, this is not the
      reason whether or not the disease actually appears. If people do the right
      thing during the promotion stage, perhaps even during the progression stage,
      cancer will not appear and if it does, might even be resolved. Most
      estimates suggest that not more than 2-3 percent of cancers are due entirely
      to genes; almost all the rest is due to diet and lifestyle factors.
      Consuming plant based foods offers the best hope of avoiding cancer, perhaps
      even reversing cancer once it is diagnosed. Believing that cancer is
      attributed to genes is a fatalistic idea but believing that cancer can be
      controlled by nutrition is a far more hopeful idea.

      KF: You said that initially something attacks the genes, chemicals or other
      agents; like what?

      TCC: Cancer, like every other biological event--good or bad--begins with
      genes. In the case of cancer, gene(s) that give rise to cancer either may be
      present when we are born or, during our lifetimes, normal genes may be
      converted into cancer genes by certain highly reactive chemicals (i.e.,
      carcinogens) .

      Consider 'cancer genes' as seeds that grow into tumor masses only if they
      are 'fed'. The 'feeding' comes from wrongful nutrition. It's like growing a
      lawn. We plant seeds but they don't grow into grass (or weeds) unless they
      are provided water, sunlight and nutrients. So it is with cancer. In
      reality, we are planting seeds all of our lifetime although some may be
      present at birth, not only for cancer but also for other events as well. But
      this mostly does not matter unless we 'nourish' their growth.

      The chemicals that create these cancer genes are called 'carcinogens' . Most
      carcinogens of years past have been those that attack normal genes to give
      cancer genes. These are initiating carcinogens, or initiators. But more
      recently, carcinogens also may be those that promote cancer growth. They are
      promoting carcinogens, or promoters.

      Our work showed that casein is the most relevant cancer promoter ever
      discovered.

      Aside from chemicals initiating or promoting cancer, other agents such as
      cosmic rays (energetic particles) from the sun or from the outer reaches of
      space may impact our genes to cause them to change (i.e., mutate) so that
      they could give rise to cancer 'seeds'. The most important point to consider
      is that we cannot do much about preventing initiation but we can do a lot
      about preventing promotion. The initiating idea is fatalistic and outside of
      our control but the promotion idea is hopeful because we can change our
      exposure to promoting agents and reverse the cancer process, thus is within
      our control.

      KF: What exactly is so bad about animal protein?

      TCC: I don't choose the word "exactly" because it suggests something very
      specific. Rather, casein causes a broad spectrum of adverse effects.

      Among other fundamental effects, it makes the body more acidic, alters the
      mix of hormones and modifies important enzyme activities, each of which can
      cause a broad array of more specific effects. One of these effects is its
      ability to promote cancer growth (by operating on key enzyme systems, by
      increasing hormone growth factors and by modifying the tissue acidity).
      Another is its ability to increase blood cholesterol (by modifying enzyme
      activities) and to enhance atherogenesis, which is the early stage of
      cardiovascular disease.

      And finally, although these are casein-specific effects, it should be noted
      that other animal-based proteins are likely to have the same effect as
      casein.

      KF: Ok, so I am clear that it's wise to avoid casein, which is intrinsic in
      dairy (milk and cheese), but how is other animal protein, such as chicken,
      steak, or pork, implicated in the cause and growth of cancer?

      TCC: I would first say that casein is not just "intrinsic" but IS THE MAIN
      PROTEIN OF COW MILK, REPRESENTING ABOUT 87% OF THE MILK PROTEIN.

      The biochemical systems which underlie the adverse effects of casein are
      also common to other animal-based proteins. Also, the amino acid composition
      of casein, which is the characteristic primarily responsible for its
      property, is similar to most other animal-based proteins. They all have what
      we call high 'biological value', in comparison, for example, with
      plant-based proteins, which is why animal protein promotes cancer growth and
      plant protein doesn't.

      KF: Isn't anything in moderation ok, as long as we don't overdo it?

      TCC: I rather like the expression told by my friend, Caldwell Esselstyn,
      Jr., MD, the Cleveland Clinic surgeon who reversed heart disease and who
      says, "Moderation kills!" I prefer to go the whole way, not because we have
      fool-proof evidence showing that 100% is better than, say, 95% for every
      single person for every single condition but that it is easier to avoid
      straying off on an excursion that too often becomes a slippery slope back to
      our old ways. Moreover, going the whole way allows us to adapt to new
      unrealized tastes and to rid ourselves of some old addictions. And finally,
      moderation often means very different things for different people.

      KF: Are you saying that if one changes their diet from animal based protein
      to plant-based protein that the disease process of cancer can be halted and
      reversed?

      TCC: Yes, this is what our experimental research shows. I also have become
      aware of many anecdotal claims by people who have said that their switch to
      a plant-based diet stopped even reversed (cured?) their disease. One study
      on melanoma has been published in the peer-reviewed literature that shows
      convincing evidence that cancer progression is substantially halted with
      this diet.

      KF: How long does it take to see changes?

      TCC: It is not clear because carefully designed research in humans has not
      been done. However, we demonstrated and published findings showing that
      experimental progression of disease is at least suspended, even reversed,
      when tumors are clearly present.

      KF: Consider a person who has been eating poorly his whole life; is there
      still hope that a dietary change can make a big difference? Or is everything
      already in motion?

      TCC: Yes, a variety of evidence shows that cancers and non-cancers alike can
      be stopped even after consuming a poor diet earlier in life. This effect is
      equivalent to treatment, a very exciting concept.

      KF: This is sounding like it's a cure for cancer; is that the case?

      TCC: Yes. The problem in this area of medicine is that traditional doctors
      are so focused on the use of targeted therapies (chemo, surgery, radiation)
      that they refuse to even acknowledge the use of therapies like nutrition and
      are loathe to even want to do proper research in this area. So, in spite of
      the considerable evidence--theoretic al and practical--to support a
      beneficial nutritional effect, every effort will be made to discredit it.
      It's a self-serving motive.

      KF: What else do you recommend one does to avoid, stop, or reverse cancer?

      TCC: A good diet, when coupled with other health promoting activities like
      exercise, adequate fresh air and sunlight, good water and sleep, will be
      more beneficial. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

      For help on how to lean into a plant based diet, check out my blog post
      here; and for recipes click here.

      For more information about diet and cancer, visit http://www.tcolincampbell.org.Health

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/a-cure-for-cancer-eating_b_298282.html

      <*> Your email settings: