Sign up for November's Cooking Class - Thanksgiving for the Birds

  • Colleen A. Patrick-Goudreau/Compassionat
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2004
      Sign up for November's Vegetarian Cooking Class: Thanksgiving for the Birds
      by Compassionate Cooks http://www.compassionatecooks.com

      In This Issue:

      - November 13th - Thanksgiving for the Birds
      - On the Menu for November's Class
      - San Mateo Cooking Class - November 21st
      - Veg Cooking DVD - Just Weeks Away!
      - Tradition, Habit, or Choice?
      - More Than a Meal: The Turkey in History, Myth, Ritual, and
      Reality

      November 13th - Thanksgiving for the Birds
      Join us for our most popular class!

      We will feature a cornucopia of delicious dishes that will
      impress friends and family members alike while showing reverence
      to the 300 million turkeys slaughtered each year (45 million of
      which are killed for Thanksgiving alone). Join us for what will
      most certainly be a special - class!

      Sign up online!
      http://compassionatecooks.c.topica.com/maacL01abaYOlaaaaaabaeQx73/

      On the Menu for November's Class
      Gorgeous, seasonal vegetables are on the menu for our special
      Thanksgiving class. Bring a friend, and come hungry!

      -Baked Pumpkin with Vegetable Pilaf
      -Sensational Stuffing with Chestnuts and Raisins
      -Mashed Potatoes with Carmelized Onions
      -Seasoned Garlic Green Beans
      -Pumpkin Pie with Toasted Pecans

      Sign up for November's Class
      http://compassionatecooks.c.topica.com/maacL01abaYOlaaaaaabaeQx73/

      San Mateo Cooking Class - November 21st
      Join Compassionate Cooks at the Peninsula Humane Society for a
      class devoted to delicious, nutritious Autumn meals.

      On the menu is Carrot Ginger Soup, Butternut Squash Risotto with
      Sage, Roasted Vegetables with Whole Spice Seeds, and Autumn
      Berry Crisp.

      Sign up by contacting the Humane Society at 650-340-7022 ext.
      369. Only $20.

      Veg Cooking DVD - Just Weeks Away!
      Featuring a feast for the eyes as well as for the palate, the
      Compassionate Cooks create decadent dairy-free desserts,
      demystify tofu and other soy products, emphasize fast and
      healthful meals, and present a gorgeous holiday centerpiece.

      Including a helpful segment that provides a visual aid to
      finding vegetarian products in the supermarket, the
      Compassionate Cooks also answer a number of frequently asked
      questions regarding vegetarianism. This is an invaluable
      resource you will turn to again and again.

      Pre-order your copy!
      http://compassionatecooks.c.topica.com/maacL01abaZruaaaaaabaeQx73/

      Tradition, Habit, or Choice?
      We all have a certain image in our minds when we think about a
      Thanksgiving meal, and most of us grew up conforming to this
      picture - complete with a lifeless bird in the center of the
      table. I appreciate tradition as much as the next person, but
      when we can no longer support certain traditions for the cruelty
      they inflict upon the victims, isn't it our obligation to choose
      a new tradition? My favorite human characteristic is our ability
      to change, to evolve, to do better when we know better -
      especially when we have a choice.

      Personally, I don't have a need to connect with whatever the
      pilgrims did or did not eat on the "first Thanksgiving." What I
      do desire is a connection with the bounty of the seasonal
      harvest, the company of family and friends, and the opportunity
      to create a peaceful and nonviolent world - through how I eat
      and how I live my life. I am thankful for having the option to
      choose.

      Create a New Tradition - Enjoy a Turkey-free Thanksgiving
      http://compassionatecooks.c.topica.com/maacL01abaYOlaaaaaabaeQx73/

      More Than a Meal: The Turkey in History, Myth, Ritual, and
      Reality
      In her book, Karen Davis explores how turkeys came to be seen as
      birds who were not only the epitome of failure or stupidity but
      also the suitable centerpiece of the celebration of freedom in
      America itself-Thanksgiving. She examines the many varieties of
      turkeys and uncovers the methods by which millions of turkeys
      are raised, fattened, and slaughtered on farms around America
      today.

      Davis takes us back to European folklore about turkeys, the
      myths, fairytales, and downright lies told about turkeys and
      their habits and habitats. She shows how turkeys in the wild
      have complex lives and family units, and how they were an
      integral part of Native American and continental cultures and
      landscape before the Europeans arrived.

      Buy "More Than a Meal: The Turkey in History, Myth, Ritual, and
      Reality"
      http://compassionatecooks.c.topica.com/maacL01abaZr3aaaaaabaeQx73/
      8292444/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-7965319-0215968?v=glance&s=books

      "The thinking [person] must oppose all cruel customs no matter
      how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we
      have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into
      the life of another." ~Albert Schweitzer Compassionate Cooks
      http://compassionatecooks.c.topica.com/maacL01abaZoTaaaaaabaeQx73/