Sign up for November's Cooking Class - Thanksgiving for the Birds

  • Colleen A. Patrick-Goudreau/Compassionat
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2004
      6-Story Newsletter Template + Images

      Thanksgiving for the Birds

      In This Issue: October 2004

      . November 13th - Thanksgiving for the Birds
      . Veg Cooking DVD - Just Weeks Away!

      . On the Menu for November's Class
      . Tradition, Habit, or Choice?

      . San Mateo Cooking Class - November 21st
      . More Than a Meal: The Turkey in History, Myth, Ritual, and Reality

      November 13th - Thanksgiving for the Birds

      Join us for our most popular class!

      We will feature a cornucopia of delicious dishes that will impress friends and family members alike while showing reverence to the 300 million turkeys slaughtered each year (45 million of which are killed for Thanksgiving alone). Join us for what will most certainly be a special - class!

      Sign up online!

      On the Menu for November's Class

      Gorgeous, seasonal vegetables are on the menu for our special Thanksgiving class. Bring a friend, and come hungry!

      -Baked Pumpkin with Vegetable Pilaf
      -Sensational Stuffing with Chestnuts and Raisins
      -Mashed Potatoes with Carmelized Onions
      -Seasoned Garlic Green Beans
      -Pumpkin Pie with Toasted Pecans
      Sign up for November's Class

      San Mateo Cooking Class - November 21st

      Join Compassionate Cooks at the Peninsula Humane Society for a class devoted to delicious, nutritious Autumn meals.

      On the menu is Carrot Ginger Soup, Butternut Squash Risotto with Sage, Roasted Vegetables with Whole Spice Seeds, and Autumn Berry Crisp.

      Sign up by contacting the Humane Society at 650-340-7022 ext. 369. Only $20.

      Veg Cooking DVD - Just Weeks Away!

      Featuring a feast for the eyes as well as for the palate, the Compassionate Cooks create decadent dairy-free desserts, demystify tofu and other soy products, emphasize fast and healthful meals, and present a gorgeous holiday centerpiece.

      Including a helpful segment that provides a visual aid to finding vegetarian products in the supermarket, the Compassionate Cooks also answer a number of frequently asked questions regarding vegetarianism. This is an invaluable resource you will turn to again and again.
      Pre-order your copy!

      Tradition, Habit, or Choice?

      We all have a certain image in our minds when we think about a Thanksgiving meal, and most of us grew up conforming to this picture - complete with a lifeless bird in the center of the table. I appreciate tradition as much as the next person, but when we can no longer support certain traditions for the cruelty they inflict upon the victims, isn't it our obligation to choose a new tradition? My favorite human characteristic is our ability to change, to evolve, to do better when we know better - especially when we have a choice.

      Personally, I don't have a need to connect with whatever the pilgrims did or did not eat on the "first Thanksgiving." What I do desire is a connection with the bounty of the seasonal harvest, the company of family and friends, and the opportunity to create a peaceful and nonviolent world - through how I eat and how I live my life. I am thankful for having the option to choose.
      Create a New Tradition - Enjoy a Turkey-free Thanksgiving

      More Than a Meal: The Turkey in History, Myth, Ritual, and Reality

      In her book, Karen Davis explores how turkeys came to be seen as birds who were not only the epitome of failure or stupidity but also the suitable centerpiece of the celebration of freedom in America itself-Thanksgiving. She examines the many varieties of turkeys and uncovers the methods by which millions of turkeys are raised, fattened, and slaughtered on farms around America today.

      Davis takes us back to European folklore about turkeys, the myths, fairytales, and downright lies told about turkeys and their habits and habitats. She shows how turkeys in the wild have complex lives and family units, and how they were an integral part of Native American and continental cultures and landscape before the Europeans arrived.
      Buy "More Than a Meal: The Turkey in History, Myth, Ritual, and Reality"

      "The thinking [person] must oppose all cruel customs no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another." ~Albert Schweitzer Compassionate Cooks

      Update Profile | Unsubscribe | Confirm | Forward

    • Colleen A. Patrick-Goudreau/Compassionat
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 20, 2004
        Sign up for November's Vegetarian Cooking Class: Thanksgiving for the Birds
        by Compassionate Cooks http://www.compassionatecooks.com

        In This Issue:

        - November 13th - Thanksgiving for the Birds
        - On the Menu for November's Class
        - San Mateo Cooking Class - November 21st
        - Veg Cooking DVD - Just Weeks Away!
        - Tradition, Habit, or Choice?

        http://compassionatecooks.c.topica.com/maacL01abaYOlaaaaaabaeQx73/

        http://compassionatecooks.c.topica.com/maacL01abaZruaaaaaabaeQx73/

[...]

        http://compassionatecooks.c.topica.com/maacL01abaZr3aaaaaabaeQx73/
        8292444/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-7965319-0215968?v=glance&s=books

        http://compassionatecooks.c.topica.com/maacL01abaZoTaaaaaabaeQx73/