Need to rehome rescued Japanese quail

  • Andrew Zollman
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2009
      In April, I rescued a male Japanese quail who flew out of a live poultry market that I was investigating as part of the campaign detailed at http://lgbtcompassion.org/livemarkets/default.htm.

      I've decided I can no longer keep him in my home, as he crows all night long and disturbs my sleep (though the crow is musical and not as loud as a rooster), and he would be happier with more freedom and outdoor access. I was wondering if anyone knows someone who could adopt him. He's pretty tame with humans, but is territorial. I'm not sure he could live with roosters as he's small and vulnerable, but perhaps with rescued hens or perhaps rabbits.

      Also, note that Japanese quails are selectively-bred to be oversized for meat, and so their lifespans are usually reduced from about 8 to 2 years. It seems that he's smaller than when I rescued him, but his weight needs to be monitored and managed to increase his lifespan. I've been planning to take him to the vet to see where his weight is and should be, and could do so before he's adopted.

      I can provide transportation to most places in California.

      Thanks,

      Andrew

      Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.