Re: Vegan Dim Sum: VegNews Recipe Club

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2009
      Forwarding the message.

      Our Blogs
      Café VegNews
      Press Pass
      This Just In

      Our Website
      VegNews.com

      Find Us On
      Facebook
      MySpace
      Twitter

       Vegan Dim Sum

      Is there anything more fun than dim sum you make yourself? Yeah, we didn't think so. These savory siu mai dumplings make the perfect Labor Day party appetizers, but don't be fooled: they don't actually take that much labor. Use your favorite meat-free chicken for an authentic flavor in these one-bite goodies.

      Makes 15 to 20 dumplings

      What You Need:

      3-1/2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
      1 tablespoon ginger, grated
      2 cups faux chicken, defrosted
      1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
      2 tablespoons tamari
      1 tablespoon five-spice powder
      1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
      2 cups shredded cabbage
      1 cup shredded carrot
      1/4 cup cooked peas
      1 package wonton wrappers

      What You Do:

      1. In a large skillet, heat margarine. Once it sizzles, add ginger and cook for one minute. Add faux chicken and mushrooms. Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tamari and five-spice powder and cook for 3 minutes before adding hoisin sauce. Add carrot and cabbage and cook 5 more minutes.

      2. Make a circle with your forefinger and thumb. Place dumpling wrapper over your hand and then place a heaping teaspoon of filling in the center. Fold up sides of the dumpling, creating a little cup. Dot the middle of each dumpling with a pea for garnish.

      3. Fill a large saucepan 1/4 of the way with water, place over high heat, and bring to a boil. In a metal colander over the pot, or bamboo steamer lined with wax paper, steam dumplings for about 15 minutes. Serve with soy sauce and sesame oil.

      More Food News!
      What's Cooking on VegNews.com: Neapolitan Dessert Bars
      Café VegNews: Extra-Cheesy Baked Ziti
      This Week's Must-Have: Coconut Milk Kefir
      Giveaway: One Month's Supply of Ice Cream!
      This Just In: Mint-Chip Macaroons
      Press Pass: Healthy School Lunch Kick-Off

      VegNews Magazine
      PO Box 320130
      San Francisco, California 94132
      US

      Non-Profits Email Free with VerticalResponse!