re: the back and forth debate

  • sean
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2004
      Hello all

      my name is sean and here is a little story before i get to my
      point....

      I am a 35 year old vegatarian and have been one since 1981 ... so
      those doing the math i was 12(7th grade)... i lived in a VERY ultra
      right wing waspish town in Michigan where meat was a main staple for
      ever meal ....i constantly had people saying stuff to me about
      how "god put animals on this planet blah blah blah" ... then there
      was the other meat eating people who have said stuff like "we were
      made to eat meat blah blah blah" ... so i had to learn at an early
      age what to say to those on both sides of the fence. which i can do
      quite well i might add.

      So, of the 23 years of being a vegetarian i have learned that just
      like the religous extremist who shoot abortion Dr. or bomb buildings
      or set themselves on fire all in the name of their beliefs then why
      would there not be some sort of extremist side in the vegie world
      too?!. When people ask me about that side of vegetarianism i just
      bring up the other extreme groups.

      so to my point .. in my 23years i have had many people change their
      diets to a vegie diet due to my non-extreme, non-preaching attitude
      about how horrible they are for eating meat .... i show by example
      with how better i feel and how healthy i am and i would never not be
      friends with someone cause they eat meat because we shoud not judge
      people for their beliefs or lack of knoledge or even up-bringing.
      we should be more like the passive creatures we are trying to
      protect and show by example and talking with others rather then the
      constant rattle of extremism we get everywhere in life via the news,
      tv, internet, radio everyday.. cause people only see that side of it
      and think every one is like that so less extremism more show by
      example! i understand about protection and fighting for those who
      can not defend themselves but violence to stop violence just doesn't
      work. are we not all on the same side here. should we not be
      verbally hurting each other but helping each other during our short
      time here. we all care for the animals but can we care about each
      other too!?!?

      well i am finished, and cause i know how people are there will be
      that one person i have pissed off ... so find the falts and let me
      know cause your nature is your nature and i understand! ;)

      thank you for your time,
      sean