Hungry Hungry Veganos

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 17, 2009
      Forwarding the message.

      Enjoy life and smile.

      Hungry Hungry Veganos

      #yiv1440302107 h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff important;}

      #yiv1440302107 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul {
      list-style-type:square;padding-left:1em;}

      #yiv1440302107 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote {
      padding-left:6px;border-left:6px solid #dadada;margin-left:1em;}

      #yiv1440302107 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div li {
      margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:1em;}

      #yiv1440302107 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link, #yiv1440302107 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, #yiv1440302107 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active, #yiv1440302107 ul#summarylist li a {
      color:#990000;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;}

      #yiv1440302107 img {border:none;}

      Hungry Hungry Veganos

      Let Live NW Animal Rights Conference 2009 (LLNWAR2009) in Portland June 26-28 & Animal Rights 2009 National Conference (AR2009) in Los Angeles July 16-20. Attend one, have some fun, & find out what needs to be done!

      In the next 30 days there will be two major conferences in the USA and both are happening on the West Coast. June 26-28 the Let Live NW Animal Rights Conference 2009 (LLNWAR2009) will be held in Portland,OR at Portland State University in the Smith Memorial Building. July 16-20 the Animal Rights 2009 National Conference (AR2009) will be held in Los Angeles,CA at the Westin LAX.
      Each conference has multiple sponsors and organizers (far to many to list them all. For a full list check out the website for each conference). The “Let Live” conference is being sponsored/organized by “Vegans for Animal Advocacy, with support from Let Live Foundation as well as local area businesses such as Herbivore Clothing, and Food Fight Grocery“. The “AR2009″ conference is being sponsored/organized by FARM (Farm Animal Rights Movement), In Defense of Animals (IDA), and Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.
      The conferences can be many things and serve many purposes. The obvious purpose that they serve is to educate people in multiple areas of AR. With so many speakers/events/videos you can pick and choose what you would like to learn about. Secondly, they provide a time and place for like minded people to come together and be able to relax and share their lives with each other. Which leads to the third purpose of having fun. You can eat, drink, go to a nearby animal sanctuary, stay up late talking, and so on. While I (rahzh) have never attended “Let Live” I did attend AR2007 and I can say without a doubt that it served all three of these purposes.
      After you leave you feel a sense of being rejuvenated and wanting to do more. This happens because not only will you learn new information but you will be around people similar to yourself and have fun doing it which is important. After leaving you may also feel a little sad though especially if in your day to day life you are not around so many like minded people. Still very much worth it.
      We feel that, if possible, you should attend at least one of them ( make sure to register). If you have the capability and resources to attend both then that is even better. As they are both on the West Coast it makes it a little harder for people living closer to the East Coast to attend. Do not fret if this is you. The Animal Rights National Conference rotates every year between Los Angeles & outside of Washington D.C. and that means next year the conference will be coming to the East Coast. Not to mention there are other conferences throughout the USA and the World.
      Tagged: animal rights, Animal Rights National Conference, AR2009, Let Live NW Animal Rights Conference, LLNWAR2009, Off-topic, websites

      Inbox too full?

    • Roger
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17, 2009
        thanks for forwarding this :) for the whole post (links, banners, and
        videos) you can go to the original post

        Hungry Hungry Veganos AR Conferences
        <http://hungryhungryveganos.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/let-live-nw-animal-\

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22 5:07 AM
          Forwarding the message.

          Hungry Hungry Veganos

          #yiv1486472214 #yiv1982507272 h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff important;}

          #yiv1486472214 #yiv1982507272 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul {
          list-style-type:square;padding-left:1em;}

          #yiv1486472214 #yiv1982507272 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote {
          padding-left:6px;border-left:6px solid #dadada;margin-left:1em;}

          #yiv1486472214 #yiv1982507272 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div li {
          margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:1em;}

          #yiv1486472214 #yiv1982507272 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link, #yiv1486472214 #yiv1982507272 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, #yiv1486472214 #yiv1982507272 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active, #yiv1486472214 #yiv1982507272 ul#summarylist li a {
          color:#990000;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;}

          #yiv1486472214 #yiv1982507272 img {border:none;}

          Hungry Hungry Veganos

          Portabello Mmmmushroom Sammie

          This falls under the ridiculously easy category but it’s really tasty so we figured we’d go ahead and post it.
          Ingredients:
          2 portabello mushrooms

          1 bottle of Italian dressing (or favorite marinade)

          Sandwich rolls

          A1 Sauce

          Vegenaise
          Remove stem from portabellos and soak overnight in Italian dressing in fridge. Remove from dressing and heat in skillet until “browned” on both sides and good and hot. Cut mushrooms into strips and place in sandwich rolls and dress it up with A1 Sauce and Vegenaise to your liking (or whatever else you’d like!). Makes two big sammies.

          So again, we know this was almost too silly to post, but we love it so we thought we’d share. NOM.
          Tagged: favorites, sandwiches, super easy

        • Neil
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 24 12:42 AM
            Forwarding the message.

            ---

            Hungry Hungry Veganos

            #yiv1150071913 #yiv1167835718 h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff important;}

            #yiv1150071913 #yiv1167835718 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul {
            list-style-type:square;padding-left:1em;}

            #yiv1150071913 #yiv1167835718 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote {
            padding-left:6px;border-left:6px solid #dadada;margin-left:1em;}

            #yiv1150071913 #yiv1167835718 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div li {
            margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:1em;}

            #yiv1150071913 #yiv1167835718 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link, #yiv1150071913 #yiv1167835718 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, #yiv1150071913 #yiv1167835718 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active, #yiv1150071913 #yiv1167835718 ul#summarylist li a {
            color:#990000;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;}

            #yiv1150071913 #yiv1167835718 img {border:none;}

            Hungry Hungry Veganos

            Vegan on the Cheap

            One of the things we never really understand is when people tell us they’d be Vegan if only they could afford it. This lament is one we hear quite often from people on the cusp of leaving the land of animal suffering behind. It’s true that if your diet is made up of pre-made frozen dinners, junk food and mock meats (which, don’t get us wrong, we do love!) that it could cost you a pretty penny from week to week but it doesn’t have to be that way.
            People often gasp when we say we don’t spend more than $80 a week on groceries and that includes breakfast, lunch, dinner AND desserts for the week. One of the big tricks to this is to actually plan our meals out for the week so we can head to the grocery store with a list. Yes, this does take some time up front (but really only about 20 minutes or so) and we aren’t left wandering around the aisles of the store asking “What do you want for dinner?” only to get the response “I don’t know, whatever you want.”
            For instance, this week we are having shepherd’s pie, white sketti, portabello burgers, chickpea cutlets, falafel, potato soup, and a rice dish called Mexicali. Throw in a couple fruits a day and cereal every morning and you’ve got yourself a basic week with the Hungry Hungry Veganos. How much did all the ingredients for all these dishes come to at the grocery store, anyway?

            Your eyes do not deceive you, the total for a week’s worth of groceries did indeed only cost us $47.40. So, with the extra money, we may splurge on some Coconut Bliss (Vegan ice cream at its best!) throughout the week or save it up for a night of Vegan sushi. We did make sure to get these from a local co-op on our way home just because who on Earth could pass up yummy cupcakes when you have over $30 left over in your grocery budget?

            So we, quite frankly, call bullshit on whomever says it’s too expensive to go Vegan. We do it on the cheap and don’t for one minute feel deprived on anything. No sir, not for one moment. We think it’s time for some homemade cookies now. NOM.
            Tagged: budget

          • Neil
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2009
              Forwarding the message.

              Hungry Hungry Veganos

              #yiv2045610674 h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff important;}

              #yiv2045610674 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul {
              list-style-type:square;padding-left:1em;}

              #yiv2045610674 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote {
              padding-left:6px;border-left:6px solid #dadada;margin-left:1em;}

              #yiv2045610674 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div li {
              margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:1em;}

              #yiv2045610674 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link, #yiv2045610674 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, #yiv2045610674 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active, #yiv2045610674 ul#summarylist li a {
              color:#990000;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;}

              #yiv2045610674 img {border:none;}

              Hungry Hungry Veganos

              Weekend of Fire – Cincinnati Style

              We apologize for being so remiss. Life has thrown us a curve ball (we won’t bore you with details) and that’s monopolized most of our time over the past couple weeks. So without further ado, let’s get on with things, shall we?
              This past weekend we found ourselves just outside of Cincinnati, Ohio visiting my brother, David. Jungle Jim’s was hosting their second annual Weekend of Fire, and with Papo Delgado in town for the weekend, too, it was a no-brainer that’s where we’d be spending the afternoon.

              Hot sauces, salsas, hot jams, jellies, rubs – this event had it ALL!

              Papo Delgado bought us all a round of Coronas and the tastings began!

              Naturally, we are reading all labels to ensure Vegan goodness, so we were extra pleased to see this booth:

              And even with all the options, Woz loves her Cholula!

              Woz and Papo didn’t attempt this:

              Dave and Rahzh, however, did. Keep in mind that Dave loves hot sauce and most are no big deal to him. Yet these were the results:

              Time to cool off with Jimmy’s Italian Ice that nicely sported a nice NO DAIRY sign:

              We made one more round (and all had one more beer!) and finalized our purchases. Dave carried out the loot:

              So of course a chili was beggin’ to be made after that!

              Weekend of Fire Chili
              1 Cup Tomato Juice
              3 Cans of Chili Beans

              1 Can of Kidney Beans

              1 28 oz. Can of Diced Tomotoes

              2 Jars of Spaghetti Sauce

              1 Package of Chili Seasoning

              1 Cup Sliced Mushrooms

              1 Celery Stalk

              2 1/2 Cups TVP

              Pepper, Cumin, and Garlic to taste

              Hot Sauce to taste and tortilla chips as garnish
              In large pot, add 2 cups water and 1 cup tomato juice. Bring to a boil and add pepper, cumin, and garlic. Next add TVP and continue to boil until all liquid cooks off. Drain kidney beans and add to pot. Add all remaining ingredients to pot. Heat to desired temperature and serve.
              This makes A TON so invite folks over or be ready for lots of leftovers. NOM.
              Tagged: Just For Fun, Ohio, S'more New Year, soups

              Email delivery powered by Google

            • Neil
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 13, 2009
                Forwarding the message.

                Hungry Hungry Veganos

                #yiv710094886 #yiv1791090893 h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff important;}

                #yiv710094886 #yiv1791090893 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul {
                list-style-type:square;padding-left:1em;}

                #yiv710094886 #yiv1791090893 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote {
                padding-left:6px;border-left:6px solid #dadada;margin-left:1em;}

                #yiv710094886 #yiv1791090893 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div li {
                margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:1em;}

                #yiv710094886 #yiv1791090893 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link, #yiv710094886 #yiv1791090893 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, #yiv710094886 #yiv1791090893 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active, #yiv710094886 #yiv1791090893 ul#summarylist li a {
                color:#990000;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;}

                #yiv710094886 #yiv1791090893 img {border:none;}

                Hungry Hungry Veganos

                Healthy Can = Yummmmmmy

                Cookies are yummy, we all know that. If the cookies are yummy and actually healthy, well, it just doesn’t get better than that! We decided to try this recipe that was featured on Vegetarian Vixens blog because it looked way too good to pass up. While petsitting for the adorable Molly, we took full advantage of her fully loaded kitchen to get our bake on. These beauties were soft, chewy, a little more oatmealy than we thought they’d be, but oh so vair delish!

                And here’s how you can have them, too!
                The Heart-Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World

                2 cups walnuts
                3 T canola oil
                1 cup light brown sugar
                2 t vanilla extract
                1 1/2 cups oat flour
                1 t baking soda
                1 t salt
                1/4 t ground cinnamon
                2 cups rolled oats
                1 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (or 10 1/2 ounces vegan bittersweet chocolate, chopped)

                Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
                Blend walnuts in food processor 30 seconds, or until ground into a fine meal. Add canola oil in a stream with the food processor running, and blend for 2 – 3 minutes more, or until mixture has the consistency of natural peanut butter, scraping down the sides of the food processor occasionally. Transfer to a bowl.
                Whisk together brown sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan, and bring mixture to a boil. (Watch this, as when it starts to boil it can quickly boil over.) Pour brown sugar mixture over the ground walnut butter, add vanilla extract, and stir until no lumps remain.
                Whisk together oat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Stir oat flour mixture into walnut mixture. Cool 10 minutes. Fold in oats, then chocolate chips.
                Shape cookie dough into 1 1/2 to 2 inch balls (I used a spring-type ice cream scoop, and I used 2 different sizes, varying the baking time), and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Now the original recipe calls for flattening the cookies with a glass dipped in water. I forgot with the first batch that went into the oven, and they turned out just fine with a lovely cracked top to the cookie. They did take a little longer than the recipe called for when I made them this way.
                Bake 8-10 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown and tops look dry. Cool three minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
                Enjoy with a tall glass of rice or soy milk!

                So satisfy that sweet tooth of yours and don’t worry about feeling guilty one bit. NOM.

                Tagged: cookies, S'more New Year, snacks

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Forwarding the message

                  Hungry Hungry Veganos

                  Link to Hungry Hungry Veganos

                  Missing My Sushi Domo (Remembering Eugene – Pt. 1)

                  Okay friends, it has been WAY too long since the Veganos have posted but we’ve been transients up until landing in the Land of Enchantment just two weeks ago. Wozzie took a job and has bitten the corporate bullet (*gasp*). There are surprisingly quite a few positives to this development including our roomiest kitchen yet (yay for not having to store the kitchen utensils in the living room!) for Rahzh to experiment with recipes new and old. We haven’t named this pretty new kitchen just yet and will be holding a contest VERY SOON to name said cocina. The prize will be a yummy little number by the name of Go Max Go. (Oh yes!) More details soon.

                  We have quite a few posts that need to be made (we are always taking the pictures) and found the we have several Eugene reviews to do. One of the things Wozzie misses the most from Eugene is Sushi Domo and their options for the Vegan sushi. And since she is quite sentimental and missing the Eug after talking to a new work pal and explaining how he must get his hands on some vegan sushi STAT, this seemed like a good time to spread the yummy word.  Oh she can taste the soy sauce now…

                  We’d always start the evening off with some edamame, spicy, natch:

                  spicy edamame

                  Followed by several nice sized rolls. Wozzie’s personal favorite was the Crop Burning which contained avocados, cucumbers, and shiitake mushrooms topped with hot sauce:

                  cropburning

                  And Rahzh had a shine for the Iron Man which was smoked tofu, cucumbers, and avocado:

                  ironman

                  We definitely need to find a good sushi place here in Albuquerque soon because Wozzie has a bottle of lonely soy sauce ready to roll. Pass the chopsticks please.

                  NOM.

                  Tagged: Eugene, sushi