FW: [SFVeg] Re: Top Chiron lawyer's home is vandalized -- Protesters clothed in black linked to animal-rights group

  • Julie Dull
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2004
      p.s. by the way, i used to agree with you but no longer do. Appreciate
      the dialogue, but sometimes only by raising the issue into the media
      does it get the attention the movement or any issue ultimately deserves.

      best,

      Julie

      *****************************

      "If not me, who? If not now, when?
      We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for,
      I don't know.
      -- W.H. Auden

      *****************************
      "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us
      as equals."
      - Sir Winston Churchill
      Free Farm Animals from Cruelty, Cannibalism, Confinement and Drugs:
      <http://www.factoryfarming.com/gallery.htm>
      http://www.factoryfarming.com/gallery.htm

      The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be
      indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity."-----George
      Bernard Shaw
      Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. -
      Albert Einstein
      Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.
      - Albert Einstein

      From: Julie Dull
      Monday, August 16, 2004

      ORINDA
      Top Chiron lawyer's home is vandalized
      Protesters clothed in black linked to animal-rights group

      Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer

      Orinda police are investigating the vandalism of the East Bay home
      of
      Chiron Corp.'s top attorney on Sunday, in which a group of people
      broke
      windows and tried to flood his home with water during a noisy
      protest.

      Neighbors said the people were animal-rights protesters wearing
      black
      clothing and masks, and carrying signs. The demonstrators converged
      on the
      home of Chiron's general counsel William Green on Sunnyside Court in
      Orinda
      abou
      t 10:15 a.m. while he was away on vacation, neighbors said.

      The protester
      s broke about a dozen windows and turned on his garden hose in his
      backya
      rd deck, and left after 20 minutes. No arrests were made, but
      neighbors
      provided license plate numbers to Orinda police.

      "I feel a bit violated
      by this," Green said Sunday evening, minutes after retur
      ing home to survey the damage. "I think it's beyond the pale of what
      should
      be permissible in civilized society."

      The protest comes six months aft
      er Chiron filed a lawsuit against Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty
      USA. Th
      e group's name refers to Huntingdon Life Sciences, a New Jersey
      company t
      hat performs animal testing for clients, including Chiron.

      It was n
      ot immediately clear Sunday whether the protesters were connected to
      the Sto
      p Huntingdon group.

      Green, 60, has previously been the target of protest
      ers over at least the past two years, with flyers stuck on telephone
      phones
      and gravestones placed nearby representing dead ani
      als. Other employees have also been awakened by late-night visits by
      protest
      ers with megaphones.

      Neighbor Jim Abrams, 60, said the Orinda protest b
      egan with marching and chanting. But tensions grew when Abrams
      tried to block the side gate to Green's home, and some protesters
      charge
      d past him.

      "They ran toward one of the gates that goes into the ba
      ckyard," A
      rams said. "They broke some windows, and the hose was running on the
      deck
      -- I don't know if they intended to throw the hose into the broken
      window.
      There were some people obviously bent on doing some damage."

      Chiron's
      lawsuit said that the names, addresses and phone numbers of Chiron
      empl
      oyees have been posted on a Web site and that the group has worked
      with a fugitive suspected of planting bombs at the firm and another
      busin
      ess last year.

      The suspect, Daniel Andreas San Diego, 25, of Sonoma is ac
      cused of planting a pipe bomb on Aug. 28 at Chiron and another on S
      ept. 26 at Shaklee Corp., a
      leasanton firm that makes health, beauty and household products.

      San
      Diego remains at large, Special Agent LaRae Quy, FBI spokeswoman in
      San Francisco, said Sunday. A $50,000 reward is being offered for
      tips in th
      e case.

      In a June ruling, Alameda County Superior Court Judge Steven Bric
      k said Chiron had a chance

      of prevailing in the lawsuit and denied a request by the
      animal-rights g
      roup to throw out the complaint as a SLAPP suit, or one that
      restricte
      d its free-speech rights.

      Brick said Chiron's lawsuit had more to do with
      "acts of unlawful harassment and threats" rather than the
      animal-rights gr
      oup's right to free speech. "Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty USA's)
      free s
      peech rights under the First Amendment do not protect its conduct in
      this
      situation," Brick wrote.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12991foi9/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
      D=groups/S=1705171641:HM/EXP=1092978476/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
      p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298> click here

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
      s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=365719894>

      _____