Re: [SFVeg] Re: Top Chiron lawyer's home is vandalized -- Protesters clothed in black linked to animal-rights group

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 18, 2004
      MessageThere's a difference between constructive and destructive direct action, Julie. Constructive direct action, like rescuing abused animals, helps both the animals saved and the animal rights movement. Destructive direct action, like pipe bombings or home invasions, only discredits our movement and takes attention away from the problems we seek to redress by putting it on extreme tactics. Thus, in the media, the tactics become the story, not the animals, and the movement is tarnished.

      In any campaign against injustice I don't think that the end ever really justifies the means. That's because the means have a way of becoming the end. Thus, one unjust society replaces another. But real justice is still nowhere to be found.

      In our search for justice, I sure hope we'll avoid creating more injustice along the way.

      Monday, August 16, 2004

      ORINDA
      Top Chiron lawyer's home is vandalized
      Protesters clothed in black linked to animal-rights group

      Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer

      Orinda police are investigating the vandalism of the East Bay home of
      Chiron Corp.'s top attorney on Sunday, in which a group of people broke
      windows and tried to flood his home with water during a noisy protest.

      Neighbors said the people were animal-rights protesters wearing black
      clothing and masks, and carrying signs. The demonstrators converged on the
      home of Chiron's general counsel William Green on Sunnyside Court in Orinda
      abou
      t 10:15 a.m. while he was away on vacation, neighbors said.

      The protester
      s broke about a dozen windows and turned on his garden hose in his backya
      rd deck, and left after 20 minutes. No arrests were made, but neighbors
      provided license plate numbers to Orinda police.

      "I feel a bit violated
      by this," Green said Sunday evening, minutes after retur
      ing home to survey the damage. "I think it's beyond the pale of what should
      be permissible in civilized society."

      The protest comes six months aft
      er Chiron filed a lawsuit against Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty USA. Th
      e group's name refers to Huntingdon Life Sciences, a New Jersey company t
      hat performs animal testing for clients, including Chiron.

      It was n
      ot immediately clear Sunday whether the protesters were connected to the Sto
      p Huntingdon group.

      Green, 60, has previously been the target of protest
      ers over at least the past two years, with flyers stuck on telephone phones
      and gravestones placed nearby representing dead ani
      als. Other employees have also been awakened by late-night visits by protest
      ers with megaphones.

      Neighbor Jim Abrams, 60, said the Orinda protest b
      egan with marching and chanting. But tensions grew when Abrams
      tried to block the side gate to Green's home, and some protesters charge
      d past him.

      "They ran toward one of the gates that goes into the ba
      ckyard," A
      rams said. "They broke some windows, and the hose was running on the deck
      -- I don't know if they intended to throw the hose into the broken window.
      There were some people obviously bent on doing some damage."

      Chiron's
      lawsuit said that the names, addresses and phone numbers of Chiron empl
      oyees have been posted on a Web site and that the group has worked
      with a fugitive suspected of planting bombs at the firm and another busin
      ess last year.

      The suspect, Daniel Andreas San Diego, 25, of Sonoma is ac
      cused of planting a pipe bomb on Aug. 28 at Chiron and another on S
      ept. 26 at Shaklee Corp., a
      leasanton firm that makes health, beauty and household products.

      San
      Diego remains at large, Special Agent LaRae Quy, FBI spokeswoman in
      San Francisco, said Sunday. A $50,000 reward is being offered for tips in th
      e case.

      In a June ruling, Alameda County Superior Court Judge Steven Bric
      k said Chiron had a chance

      of prevailing in the lawsuit and denied a request by the animal-rights g
      roup to throw out the complaint as a SLAPP suit, or one that restricte
      d its free-speech rights.

      Brick said Chiron's lawsuit had more to do with
      "acts of unlawful harassment and threats" rather than the animal-rights gr
      oup's right to free speech. "Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty USA's) free s
      peech rights under the First Amendment do not protect its conduct in this
      situation," Brick wrote.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Julie Dull
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 18, 2004
        Pete,

        I respectfully disagree. I doubt that the folks in Mass and along the
        eastern seaboard ultimately believed en masse that the destruction of
        the East Indian Tea Company's tea on those ships created were victims
        nor that those folks ultimately discredited the revolutionary movement.
        While there may have been folks that disagreed with the tactics (and by
        analogy, you join their ranks), others were alerted to the issue and it
        gave them food for thought. So while your opinion, while interesting,
        is one of many, others have an opportunity to take notice and determine
        what they think.Many, once they learn of this issue, ultimately agree
        with the cause, if not the means by which they were alerted to it.

        In effect, in this way, the ends did justify the means.

        Julie

        *****************************

        "If not me, who? If not now, when?
        We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for,
        I don't know.
        -- W.H. Auden

        *****************************
        "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us
        as equals."
        - Sir Winston Churchill
        Free Farm Animals from Cruelty, Cannibalism, Confinement and Drugs:
        <http://www.factoryfarming.com/gallery.htm>
        http://www.factoryfarming.com/gallery.htm

        The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be
        indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity."-----George
        Bernard Shaw
        Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. -
        Albert Einstein
        Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.
        - Albert Einstein

        Pete <plcohon@...> wrote:

[...]

        ___________________________________

        San Francisco Chronicle
        Monday, August 16, 2004

        ORINDA
[...]

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129imutj7/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705171641:HM/EXP=1092810608/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*htt
        p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183351> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=2164331/rand=628757691>

        _____