foie gras update

  • Thea Langsam
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2004
      Hi,

      I've just learned that the Guardian (the Bay Area's respected & usually progressive independent paper) ran a story against the foie gras bill because of amendments that were made to it. The amendments are bad: They delay the effective date of the bill until 2012, which means foie gras can continue to be produced in California until 2012. They also shield foie gras producers until 2012 from lawsuits for any acts that would violate the bill after 2012. But without the bill, foie gras production will continue to be legal after 2012. And the protections for foie gras producers until 2012 -- although infuriating! -- are basically meaningless because without the prohibitions the bill will enact in 2012, we would have very little chance of winning any lawsuit against a producer anyway.

      Morever, Senator Burton, who introduced the bill and is fighting for it, is the most powerful member of the California legislature but is termed out this year. So even if we can find someone else to reintroduce the bill next year, chances are the sponsor won't have the same power to get the bill through. It's already made it through the Senate & the Assembly committee with Senator Burton's help -- we don't want to have to fight these battles again without him.

      Finally, the Farm Sanctuary still supports this bill. So, please, please, continue to urge your Legislators and the Gov to get this passed now! Go to: http://vote-smart.org

      I'm really swamped at work right now. Does anyone else have time to right a letter to the Guardian, hopefully for publication, explaining that this is the best shot at getting protection for the birds? Please let me know if you will, at tlangsam@..., otherwise I'll try to find the time.

      Thanks!

      Thea