April 6 in Palo Alto - Empowering the Second Half of Life with Michael Rossoff

  • Gerard T. Lum
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2009
      On Monday, April 6 at 8 pm, the Peninsula Macrobiotic Community hosts
      Macrobiotic Counselor and Licensed Acupuncturist Michael Rossoff, who
      will speak on Empowering the Second Half of Life. From its earliest
      beginnings, Oriental medicine recognized that health is the key to long
      life. Rather than seeking an elusive Fountain of Youth, it combined
      various elements of health practices to promote everyone's wellbeing and
      thereby create longevity.

      Controlling and nourishing the jing, our original essence, is a core
      focus. At the same time, lifestyle factors and environmental influences
      can deplete this core essence. These not only remain relevant in modern
      times but are having ever greater weakening effects. Learn what these
      are and how to protect yourself.

      While some of the longevity approaches are very exotic and even toxic,
      there are many that we can employ for our own greater wellness. We will
      explore some of the most useful, including special exercises, breathing
      practices, dietary changes, acupressure points and more.

      Michael has been involved in macrobiotics, acupuncture, and Chinese
      medicine for 37 years. He studied macrobiotics with Michio Kushi in the
      '60s and '70s. In addition to teaching and counseling, he directed
      various macrobiotic centers in the Washington, D.C. area for 20 years,
      and published the macrobiotic magazine MacroMuse for seven years in the
      1980s.

      Michael studied acupuncture in England in the 1970s, and began
      practicing in 1978. He was the academic dean and a core teacher for
      three years at Atlantic University of Chinese Medicine, near his current
      residence of Asheville, North Carolina. Michael has counseled many
      thousands of people in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Israel. Visit his
      website at http://www.michaelrossoff.com <http://www.michaelrossoff.com>
      .

      Michael will be available for consultations April 7-10 in Woodside, call
      Ken Becker 650 366-4285.

      Lecture Details:
      • Monday, April 6, 8 pm (no reservation necessary)
      • $5-10 donation suggested for lecture
      • The First Baptist Church, 305 North California Avenue at Bryant,
      Palo Alto, 1/4 mile East of Alma and the California Avenue Caltrain
      Station
      • before the lecture, enjoy a Gourmet Vegetarian Dinner and make
      new friends at 6:30 pm (dinner reservations: call 650 599-3320 by 9:30
      am)

      GOURMET VEGETARIAN DINNER MENU, APRIL 6, 6:30 PM

      Lentil-Mushroom Soup
      Buckwheat-Potato Croquettes with Rich Onion Gravy
      Nutmeg-Scented Mashed Carrots
      Red Cabbage Kraut
      Sweet and Tart Cucumber Salad
      Apple-Raisin Spice Bars
      Tea

      Dinner Details:
      • Monday, April 6, 6:30 pm
      • $15 for Dinner
      • please reserve for Dinner by Monday morning, 9:30 AM (650
      599-3320)
      • The First Baptist Church, 305 North California Avenue at Bryant,
      Palo Alto, 1/4 mile East of Alma and the California Avenue Caltrain
      Station
      • for more Monday dinner menus, visit http://peninsulamacro.org

      MONDAY GOURMET VEGETARIAN DINNERS IN PALO ALTO

      The Peninsula Macrobiotic Community serves a Gourmet Vegetarian Dinner
      every Monday (except major holidays) in Palo Alto. This is a full vegan
      dinner which includes soup, grain, beans or bean products, vegetables,
      dessert, and beverage, prepared by expert natural foods Chef Gary
      Alinder, our Chef since our inception in 1987.

      WEBSITE: http://peninsulamacro.org <http://peninsulamacro.org> -
      featuring newsletter, dinner menus, and related information.

      DINNER RESERVATIONS: please try to make your Dinner reservations by
      Monday morning, 9:30 AM; call 650 599-3320. If it's after 9:30 and
      you're still interested in coming, call and leave a number for the
      manager to call you back if there is space. It is not necessary to
      reserve for the After-Dinner presentation.

      TIME: dinner is served at 6:30 pm every Monday except major holidays;
      the after-dinner presentation (once per month) starts at 8 pm.

      PRICE: $15 for Dinner (occasional special dinners are priced higher),
      $5-10 donation suggested for after-dinner presentation (usually once per
      month)

      LOCATION: The First Baptist Church, 305 North California Avenue at
      Bryant, Palo Alto, 1/4 mile East of Alma and the California Avenue
      Caltrain Station.

      AFTER-DINNER PRESENTATION: each month we feature an After-Dinner Lecture
      or Event, described in the newsletter and website. Lectures are usually
      on macrobiotic or other health related topics, by a variety of speakers
      including macrobiotic counselors, medical doctors, cooking teachers, and
      people who have dealt successfully with serious diseases using
      macrobiotic or similar approaches. Other events have included
      performances by folk singers and vegetarian Chinese acrobats. We have a
      pass-the-hat policy for our events; we suggest a donation of $5-10.

      WHO SHOULD ATTEND: all are welcome at our Dinners, vegetarian or not.
      The Dinners are particularly helpful for those who want to eat in
      healthy ways, but may not know how to get started. Many who attend may
      have the same health concerns you have. Also, choosing locally grown,
      vegetarian foods is one of the best ways to reduce your carbon footprint
      on the planet.

      Dinner attendance ranges from 40 to 100, with a full spectrum of ages
      spanning newborns to grandparents, including quite a few interesting
      singles. Come with a friend or by yourself; singles easily integrate
      into our friendly group, where seating is communal. Many long-term
      friendships have started at a Monday Dinner, and are renewed every week!

      We hope to see you at a Monday Dinner! Please forward this message to
      friends who may be interested.

      Gerard T. Lum, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster
      Peninsula Macrobiotic Community, http://peninsulamacro.org
      <http://peninsulamacro.org>