VRG News: December 2008

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2009
      Forwarding the message.

      VRG News wrote: VRG-NEWS: The Vegetarian Resource Group Newsletter
      Editor: Sonja Y. Helman
      Volume 12, Issue 5
      December 2008

      To view VRG-NEWS on the web, visit:
      [ http://www.vrg.org/vrgnews/2008dec.htm ]

      CONTENTS

      1) NOTES FROM THE EDITOR
      2) LETTER FROM VRG DIRECTORS
      3) VEHICLE DONATION TO SUPPORT VRG
      4) VEGETARIAN JOURNAL ONLINE
      5) CALL-A-DIETITIAN DAY - JANUARY 23
      6) VEGGIE NUGGETS
      7) UPCOMING EVENTS AND CONFERENCES
      8) VRG DEAL-OF-THE-MONTH - 25% OFF VEGETARIAN JOURNAL GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS
      9) RECIPE - TEMPEH/PEAR CURRY
      10) VRG SCHOLARSHIPS & INTERNSHIPS
      About The Vegetarian Resource Group
      About VRG-NEWS

      1) NOTES FROM THE EDITOR

      It's not too late to give a subscription to Vegetarian Journal! Not
      only will the recipient appreciate your thoughtfulness, you will enjoy
      saving 25% off the normal price. And if you want to get a subscription
      for yourself, we won't tell! For all the details, please see Section
      8. But don't wait! This offer ends December 31, 2008.

      We'd like to thank all of our members and volunteers for your support
      this past year. Because of your help, we have been able to spread the
      message of vegetarianism to more individuals, groups, and
      professionals. Thank You!

      We wish you a happy holiday season and best wishes for the new year!

      2) LETTER FROM VRG DIRECTORS

      Dear subscriber,

      Two of our staff were recently invited to speak at an inner city high
      school for five sessions. In spite of the students having to deal with
      a pretty chaotic school, we were thrilled by the kids that wanted to
      learn. When we asked if they ever met a vegetarian, we received blank
      stares. Though in the first class they couldn't imagine giving up
      meat, one girl firmly stated she wouldn't eat her pet turtle. They
      questioned whether you could really live without meat, and were
      impressed that our staff speakers had each been vegetarian over 30
      years.

      The students were pretty hesitant to taste a pepperoni "fake" meat or
      Kashi cereal. The extent of their vegetable eating was corn. But in
      spite of our basic information being all new to them, and not having
      easy access to high-quality supermarkets, they asked good questions
      and brought up interesting points.

      For a very different audience, VRG Food Service Advisor Chef Nancy
      Berkoff, RD, EdD was asked to give a 90 minute opening session at the
      National Association of College and University Food Services regional
      conference in Fargo, North Dakota. And VRG Nutrition Advisor Reed
      Mangels will be giving presentations on vegetarian pregnancy to about
      600 health professionals in Massachusetts.

      Your support enables us to continue this vegetarian outreach in a
      positive way to health professionals, low income students, and others.
      With your help, our children and grandchildren will live in a more
      compassionate and healthier vegetarian world. If you would like to
      help animals and people whose lives will be improved by a vegetarian
      diet, you can give year end tax deductible donations at
      [ https://www.givedirect.org/give/givefrm.asp?CID=1565 ].

      This is done through our charitable federation and we are not charged
      any fees.

      Thank you so much.

      Charles Stahler & Debra Wasserman

      3) VEHICLE DONATION TO SUPPORT VRG

      Interested in donating your old car to VRG and supporting our outreach
      activities? VRG participates in a Vehicle Donation Program that is a free
      and
      convenient way to convert that extra car, truck, or RV into a tax-deductible
      donation that benefits The Vegetarian Resource Group. Please click on the
      following link for further information:
      [ http://www.v-dac.com/org/?id=521279034 ]. If you have additional
      questions,
      please call (410) 366-8343. Thanks!

      4) VEGETARIAN JOURNAL ONLINE

      The following issues of Vegetarian Journal are now available online in
      PDF form:

      Issue 1, 2007
      [ http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007issue1/vj2007issue1.pdf ]

      Issue 2, 2007
      [ http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007issue2/vj2007issue2.pdf ]

      Issue 3, 2007
      [ http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007issue3/vj2007issue3.pdf ]

      Issue 4, 2007
      [ http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007issue4/vj2007issue4.pdf ]

      Issue 1, 2008
      [ http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2008issue1/VJ1_2008.pdf ]

      Issue 3, 2008
      [ http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2008issue3/VJ3_2008.pdf ]

      Issue 4, 2008
      [ http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2008issue4/VJ4_2008.pdf ]

      Just a few of the topics covered in these issues include, The Meaning
      of 'Humane' Egg Labels, Omega-3s, VRG's 25th Anniversary, Vegan Sugar,
      Vegetarian Books for Children, Soy, Rice, and Other Non-Dairy Milks,
      Dining Out Poll Results, Scholarship Winners, and Top Vegetarian
      Restaurant Chains.

      To check out all back issues of the magazine, please see:
      [ http://www.vrg.org/journal/index.htm ].

      To subscribe to Vegetarian Journal, please go to
      [ http://www.vrg.org/journal/subscribe.htm ].

      5) CALL-A-DIETITIAN DAY - JANUARY 23

      If you have general nutrition questions, Mark Rifkin, MS, RD, LDN,
      will be available from 2:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. EST on Friday, January
      23, 2009. To reserve a 20-minute time slot, please email the VRG
      office at vrg@... or call (410) 366-8343.

      Please be advised that these sessions are not individualized
      nutritional counseling. Such advice should only be provided through
      direct in-person contact with a qualified health professional. There
      is no charge, but if you do commit, please call on time. Otherwise you
      are taking someone else's spot.

      Mark Rifkin, a longtime VRG volunteer, is a Registered Dietitian and
      has a Master's Degree in Health Education. He has been presenting on
      food-related topics for more than seven years. Currently, he has a
      private practice in Baltimore, MD, that focuses on plant-based
      nutrition for prevention, as well as treatment of various chronic
      diseases and conditions, including diabetes, overweight/obesity,
      cardiovascular disease, arthritis, gout, women's health concerns,
      cancer, and early-stage kidney failure.

      In addition, Mark is offering a 20% discount on any service for VRG
      members. This is for his private practice and is not affiliated with
      The VRG or Call-A-Dietitian Day.

      6) VEGGIE NUGGETS

      Vegan Restaurant for Sale

      A vegan restaurant is for sale in Arizona. This turnkey establishment
      seats 40, is almost 1,500 square feet, and is fully-equipped. Over
      $100,000 in tenant improvements have been done. Possible 100%
      financing for qualified buyer. Long-term lease with reasonable rent.

      Only serious buyers should inquire. Please call Rick for more
      information at (805) 794-9389.

      VRG Listed on Nursing Website

      RN Central, a nursing information website, published the article, "Top
      100 Health and Wellness Sites for Seniors" by Christina Laun on
      September 16, 2008. Among the 10 sites listed in the Nutrition
      category, was VRG's "A Senior's Guide to Good Nutrition" by Suzanne
      Havala, MS, RD.

      To read the complete article, please see:
      [ http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/seniors.htm ]

      For the RN Central article, please go to:
      [
      http://www.rncentral.com/nursing-library/careplans/top_100_health_and_wellness_sites_for_seniors ]

      Prison Vegetarian Project's Pen-Pal Program

      Prison Vegetarian Project is an organization that helps people in
      prisons throughout the U.S. advocate for and receive vegetarian and
      vegan diets. They also sponsor a Pen-Pal Program for
      vegetarians-on-the-inside who want to exchange letters with
      vegetarians-on-the-outside. You do not have be 100% vegetarian 100% of
      the time to participate. Prison Vegetarian Project cannot guarantee
      that they will find you a pen-pal.

      If you are interested or want to learn more, please email Alisona at
      alison@.... She can email you their brief
      guide that offers more information.

      To check out their website, please see
      [ http://www.prisonvegetarianproject.org ].

      **Remember to be cautious with the personal information you share.

      7) UPCOMING EVENTS AND CONFERENCES

      ESTATE PLANNING INCLUDING WILLS, BEQUESTS, CHARITABLE ANNUITIES, AND TRUSTS

      The Vegetarian Resource Group will sponsor a free presentation in
      Baltimore, Maryland, by Suzanne Simpson, Esq. on Sunday afternoon,
      January 11th at 1 PM. If you would like to attend, please e-mail
      vrg@... or call (410) 366-8343. Vegan dessert will be served.

      countries).

      There are many ways to order:
      By mail: Please send a check or money order made payable to Vegetarian
      Journal to VRG, PO Box 1463, Baltimore, MD 21203.
      By phone: (410) 366-8343 M-F 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. EST.
      Online: Please visit
      [ https://www.givedirect.org/give/givefrm.asp?CID=1565 ] and make sure
      to put the recipient's name and mailing address along with how you
      want your message to read in the Comments box.

      We accept Visa, MasterCard, and U.S. currency.

      This offer expires December 31, 2008.

      9) RECIPE - TEMPEH/PEAR CURRY

      (This recipe appears in Conveniently Vegan
      [ http://www.vrg.org/catalog/convvegan.htm ] by Debra Wasserman)

      Tempeh/Pear Curry
      (Serves 3)

      Creatively blending tempeh with fruit and curry powder creates a
      delicious meal.

      8-ounce package tempeh, chopped into 1-inch cubes
      2 teaspoons oil
      2 pears - cored, peeled, and finely chopped
      1/2 cup raisins or other chopped dried fruit
      1/4 cup orange juice
      1/2 teaspoon curry powder

      Saute tempeh in oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high
      heat for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir-fry 5 more
      minutes. Serve over a bed of rice.

      Total calories per serving: 353
      Fat: 10 grams
      Total Fat as % of Daily Value: 17%
      Protein: 16 grams
      Iron: 3 mg
      Carbohydrates: 58 grams
      Calcium: 103 mg
      Dietary fiber: 6 grams
      Sodium: 8 mg

      10) VRG SCHOLARSHIPS & INTERNSHIPS

      VRG Scholarships

      The VRG will again award $10,000 in college scholarships. Due to the
      generosity of an anonymous donor, we will give two $5,000 college
      scholarships to graduating high school students who have promoted
      vegetarianism in their schools and/or communities. The students must
      be graduating high school in spring 2009. The deadline is February 20,
      2009. For more information or to read about past winners, go to
      [ http://www.vrg.org/student/scholar.htm ].

      VRG Internships

      Responsibilities depend on background, major if in college, and
      interest of applicant. Tasks may include research, writing, and/or
      community outreach. Internships are helpful for students working
      toward journalism, English, and nutrition degrees. Business majors can
      obtain experience related to the business aspects of a non-profit
      organization. Activists can learn new skills and gain a broader
      knowledge, as well as share their expertise. Positions open throughout
      the year for all ages (including high school students living in
      Baltimore). Internships are unpaid. Send resume and cover letter to:
      The Vegetarian Resource Group, P.O. Box 1463, Baltimore, MD 21203;
      vrg@....

      ABOUT THE VEGETARIAN RESOURCE GROUP

      Our health professionals, activists, and educators work with
      businesses and individuals to bring about healthful changes in your
      school, workplace, and community. Registered dietitians and physicians
      aid in the development of nutrition-related publications and answer
      member and media questions about vegetarian diets. The Vegetarian
      Resource Group is a non-profit organization. Financial support comes
      primarily from memberships, donations, bequests, and book sales. The
      Vegetarian Journal, a print magazine, is a benefit of membership in
      The VRG. (For more information, please see the Vegetarian Journal
      online.)

      If you would like to make a donation, become a member, volunteer, or
      find out more about The VRG, contact us at:

      The Vegetarian Resource Group
      P.O. Box 1463
      Baltimore, MD 21203
      Phone: (410) 366-8343
      Fax: (410) 366-8804
      E-mail: vrg@...
      Website: [ http://www.vrg.org ]

      Donate:
      [ https://www.givedirect.org/give/givefrm.asp?Action=GC&CID=1561 ]

      The contents of this newsletter, and our other publications, including
      Vegetarian Journal, are not intended to provide personal medical
      advice. Medical advice should be obtained from a qualified health
      professional. We often depend on product and ingredient information
      from company statements. It is impossible to be 100% sure about a
      statement, info can change, people have different views, and mistakes
      can be made. Please use your own best judgment about whether a product
      is suitable for you. To be sure, do further research or confirmation
      on your own.

      ABOUT VRG-NEWS

      VRG-NEWS is the e-mail newsletter of The Vegetarian Resource Group.
      This is an announcement list so subscriber messages are not accepted
      by the list. If you have a technical question about the list, please
      contact us at vrg@.... If you have any suggestions, ideas, or
      corrections to VRG-NEWS, please direct them to vrg@.... Thanks!

      If you are a new subscriber, you might enjoy reading past issues of
      VRG-NEWS online at [ http://www.vrg.org/vrgnews/index.htm ].

      SIGNOFF VRG-NEWS

      If you wish to subscribe to VRG-NEWS, send an e-mail message to
      listserv@... with the following message:

      SUB VRG-News {your first and last name}

      Contents of VRG-NEWS are copyright 2008 by The Vegetarian Resource
      Group. The newsletter may be freely distributed in electronic or print
      form provided its contents are not altered and credit is given to The
      Vegetarian Resource Group, P.O. Box 1463, Baltimore, MD 21203.

      Enjoy life and smile.