Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation | The Humane Society of the United States

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
      Forwarding the message.

      "Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation" <blog@...> wrote: Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff ! important;} div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul { list-style-type:square; padding-left:1em; } div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote { padding-left:6px; border-left: 6px solid #dadada; margin-left:1em; } div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div li { margin-bottom:1em; margin-left:1em; } table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link, table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active { color:#000099; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:none; } img {border:none;} Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation | The Humane Society of the United States
      Talk Back: Senior Pets
      A number of you were touched by last week's post on Granny Annie, the 3-legged Boston Terrier whose story a fellow blog reader shared with me. Like Annie's guardian, so many of us have had meaningful experiences with senior and special-needs pets. Here are some of your comments:
      I would also like to encourage those working with the elderly to help them consider the future of the pet. It is difficult to discuss, but a good caregiver can find a way. —Happy Camper
      It is the older pets, even the abused ones, who look most for the owner to return. They look through the gate, but just a bit behind you, to see if the error has been corrected and you have brought help. My dream was to have a space in my home for one older dog at a time to retire with grace. Living out the days of their lives with dignity and if not the right owner, at least some one to call their own. Finances have prevented that, but Hope Springs Eternal ! and until such time as I can follow that path, I drive to the pound and love them there. Keep up the good work, and we support and love your efforts. —Ardena Perry
      There is nothing in this world of animal rescue and well being as honorable as adopting an older 4 legged friend. More than anything, they deserve the best ... —Jonathan Gilbert
      This is a great reminder to all that there is a loyal dog's heart inside, no matter what the outside looks like. I have adopted older dogs, that for health reasons, only made it a year with us. I hope it was the best year of their lives and I know it was the really important part of their life story, the happy ending they deserved. I volunteer with the Oldies But Goodies Cocker Spaniel Rescue based in VA and MD. It was created for that very reason, for dogs like Granny Annie. I am going to share this with my group and hope it helps others to give an old dog a chance at a warm loving home. Thanks for the wonderful job you do heading up the HSUS. —Lois Davis
      I love this story!! That's something I've had on my heart for a while. I was browsing through the local shelter's list of adoptable pets, and they had a few special needs ones listed. I'm not able to have pets now, so it was wishful thinking. But whenever I can have pets, I want two cats, regardless of age, but if I ever get a dog, it will be senior or special needs. I'm not a dog person, but they are the ones that have a special place in my heart. —Nione Almie
      How ironic that I opened up the blog tonight and saw the subject and story on senior dogs. I am about to euthanize my 13.75 yr. old greyhound due to incurable and extensive orthopedic problems and thought today, "I'm never adopting a puppy. I think I'll foster a very old greyhound or a pitbull next." Seniors are the best, and they're great for us who want to give overlooked dogs some good, loving years before they cross the Rainbow Bridge. I also have an 11 yr. old greyhound, and I enjoy every minute of his funny ways. —Deedee D.
      I'm in tears. Granny Annie has opened my eyes and heart in so many new and beautiful ways. I honestly never thought about the older dogs who only hope to find one special person who will love and care for them. Looks like Granny Annie found her angel. —Pamela Bertsch
      I want to thank you for writing this piece, it made me and my daughter cry. When we go to shelters to visit the animals, we always spend extra time with the animals that are obviously older and may not get the amount of attention that the younger more attractive animals do. You are so sensitive to note that all animals, no matter what they look like, have shining personalities that far out weigh their outward appearance. We love all animals and it is really heartbreaking to see any animal mistreated in ANY way, ignored or unloved. Thank you for writing this wonderful piece. —Erlyn, Mark and Kaitlyn Garrison
      What a beautiful, wonderful touching story! It definitely brought tears to my eyes. Our cat, Summer, was rescued from two young boys that were putting her in a pillow case. So my daughter's boyfriend at that time, rescued her and now she has a wonderful safe home with us! She is deeply loved and I only hope that all animals will be that loved some day. May God Bless all of you who rescue animals and take care of them. All of you should be proud of yourselves! May, thank you for taking in this BEAUTIFUL dog!! —Karen E Wagner
      What a beautiful and selfless thing to do. I think people forget that animals just like people are special and loving on the inside. However, animals show their love and appreciation everyday where as humans get caught up in their everyday lives and forget the simple things in life. —Lesley
      Your story on the 3-legged Boston bull terrier tugged at my heart. Until I read that you kept her, I knew we would take her. We have a house full of previously unwanted and somewhat physically damaged pets. There could have been room for one more.They are perfect on the inside and return overwhelming amounts of affection for the little material sustainence we give them. Learning of the good people like you that exist gives me hope that we can offset those many that are not.You all have my best wishes this holiday season. —Arnie Fiergang

      Enjoy life and smile.

    • Neil
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
        Forwarding the message.

        "Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation" <blog@...> wrote: Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff ! important;} div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul { list-style-type:square; padding-left:1em; } div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote { padding-left:6px; border-left: 6px solid #dadada; margin-left:1em; } div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div li { margin-bottom:1em; margin-left:1em; } table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link, table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active { color:#000099; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:none; } img {border:none;} Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation | The Humane Society of the United States
        On the Ropes
        Two weeks ago, meat industry groups announced they’d filed a legal challenge to portions of the upgraded Downed Animal Protection Act in California, passed last year by the state legislature in the wake of our investigation into a southern California slaughter plant formerly called Hallmark/Westland. And also last week, the Montana Supreme Court rejected a legal maneuver by game farms to secure remuneration for any loss in business attributed to a 2000 statewide ballot initiative that stopped them from allowing trophy hunters to shoot captive animals on their properties. I asked Jonathan Lovvorn, our vice president and chief counsel for Animal Protection Litigation and Research, to offer his observations about these important legal cases—the meat industry case just launched, and the canned hunting case now decided.
        Along the pathway to any social reform, there are leaders—like the groups and individuals who pushed for passage of Proposition 2 in California. And there are laggards.
        But every once and again you find players who are stuck in the mud, knee-deep.
        A good case in point is the recent surprise decision by the National Meat Association (NMA) and the American Meat Institute (AMI)—two trade groups representing major packing and slaughterhouse companies—to file suit seeking to overturn key provisions of California’s newly upgraded law banning the use of sick and disabled animals in the food supply.
        These groups are taking dead aim at the law enacted in response to an HSUS investigation that exposed torment of downer cows at a southern California slaughter plant. The Hallmark/Westland plant, based in Chino, was the nation’s number two supplier of ground beef to the National School Lunch Program.

        © The HSUS
        A downed cow is shoved with a forklift at Hallmark/Westland.
        The resulting scandal over the abuse of dairy cattle at Hallmark exposed major gaps in food safety and humane handling, and probably cost the meat industry and the federal government more than $1 billion when all costs were tallied.
        According to the groups’ papers, they think California lacks the authority to protect school children from mad cow and other foodborne illness, or to prevent wanton cruelty to farm animals. They also claim that the law is “unnecessary” because many downed animals are simply tired, and “could recover with rest time.”
        Did these groups already forget the shocking images of workers using forklifts, electric prods, and high pressure water hoses to force disabled animals into the slaughter plant? Did any of these animals look like they were just a little tuckered out and needed a rest?
        Even one of the livestock industry’s own commentators decried the move, wisely noting that “victory in court will prove much more costly than the loss of an extremely small number of non-ambulatory animals... Watching two of the most influential meat industry trade associations fight and win a court battle on a legal technicality will do nothing to help restore [public] confidence.”
        And if NMA and AMI are expecting the courts to declare the California law invalid, they are likely to be disappointed.
        Two federal appeals courts have already ruled that states have the authority to ban the slaughter of certain animals (in those cases, horses rather than disabled animals) where the slaughter and sale of such animals is contrary to the state’s interest in preserving public morals and protecting public health. The U.S. Supreme Court has twice rejected requests to reconsider those rulings.
        But these animal-use groups are often slow to pick up on changing currents in the law.

        © iStockphoto

        Take the example of the Montana Supreme Court’s decision last Wednesday rejecting a legal challenge to the state’s canned hunting ban—which was enacted by voters through a ballot initiative in 2000. Canned hunt operators—people who make their living collecting fees from unethical trophy hunters who want to shoot elk and other tame animals behind a fence—challenged the law years ago. They argued the state somehow owed them financial compensation for the loss of their “right” to operate canned hunting facilities, a theory the Montana supreme court categorically rejected.
        It’s a claim we hear a lot—whether it’s the “right” to cram factory farm animals into tiny wire cages, the “right” to fight animals for gambling, or the “right” to slaughter American horses for foreign diners. Time and again, these arguments are summarily rejected by the courts.
        Indeed, every single legal challenge to an HSUS-backed animal law that has been brought in the last five years has failed.
        These animal-use groups march into the courts because they have already lost in the court of public opinion and in the nation’s legislatures, and the courts represent one last Hail Mary maneuver on their part.
        Ironically, this was traditionally the recourse of the animal protection community—shut out of the legislative and political process, and focused primarily on difficult and sometimes hopeless one-at-a-time legal challenges to laws and policies that had already been decided against our interests.
        The humane movement has proved more adept in recent years, and taken the lead in enacting humane laws, changing public opinion, and using litigation as a tool for advancing the larger social agenda.
        This noticeable inversion in position—wherein those who profit from animal cruelty and abuse are now the ones stuck filing the last-gasp legal challenges—means a lot of things for the animals and our movement. But more than anything, it’s an unmistakable sign that we are winning.

        Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner

        Enjoy life and smile.

      • rojony57
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
          It has come to my attention that it looks like I have sent Wayne's
          great messages more than once. Wayne Pacelle of The Humane Society of
          the United States titles all of his messages the same, so the content
          is different in each message. I could send the same message more than
          once, but not this time around.

          --- In SFVeg@yahoogroups.com, Neil <rojony57@...> wrote:

          > Forwarding the message.
          >
          > "Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation" <blog@...> wrote: Wayne Pacelle:
          A Humane Nation h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff !
          important;} div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul {
          list-style-type:square; padding-left:1em; }
          div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote {
          padding-left:6px; border-left: 6px solid #dadada;
          margin-left:1em; } div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td
          div li { margin-bottom:1em; margin-left:1em; }
          table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link, table#itemcontentlist tr td
          a:visited, table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active { color:#000099;
          font-weight:bold; text-decoration:none; } img
          {border:none;} Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation | The Humane
          Society of the United States
          > 2008: A Look Back
          > I’ve had the privilege of being president of The HSUS for short
          of five years now. I had hoped, in taking the post, that I could
          enhance the organization's reputation as a powerful, mainstream force
          for animal protectionâ€"a force that could take on the major forms of
          institutionalized cruelty and achieve results that made a difference
          in the lives of animals.

          > Thanks to the support of our members and the work of our talented
          staff and board, that’s happened, and now the task is not to relent,
          but instead to continue to strengthen and grow this capability. In
          looking back at some of my blogs written in 2008, I pulled 10 of the
          most popular. I think they provide a valuable chronicle of some of the
          big picture items and controversies over the last year.
          > Here's the list:
          >
          > A Look Ahead: Obama's Ag and Interior Chiefs (Dec. 17): Reaction
          to President-elect Barack Obama's cabinet selections for Agriculture
          and Interior Secretary
          > Proposition 2: Views Fit to Print (Oct. 9): The editorial board
          of The New York Times endorses Proposition 2, the California ballot
          initiative to ban veal crates, gestation crates, and battery cages
          > Alarm Bells Over Eight Belles (May 5): A discussion of the
          problems with horse racing, following filly Eight Belles' death at the
          Kentucky Derby
          > No Downers, No Exceptions (May 20): Agriculture Secretary Ed
          Schafer announces that the USDA will implement a no-downer policy for
          cattle in the United States
          > Art, Examined (April 25): Controversy surrounds the exhibition of
          a starving street dog in a Nicaraguan art gallery
          > Uncaging the Truth (Aug. 11): Exposing the opposition to
          California's Proposition 2
          > Torture on Tape (Jan. 30): The HSUS investigation of
          Hallmark/Westland Meat Co. breaks, exposing the abuse of downed dairy
          cows at the Chino, Calif. slaughter plant
          > Safer Fate for Seals (April 15): Rebecca Aldworth, The HSUS's
          director of Canadian wildlife issues, imagines a future free of
          Canada's annual slaughter of baby harp seals
          > Puppy Mill Horrors to Hit Millions (April 2): Oprah Winfrey
          dedicates an entire hour-long program to puppy mills and the related
          issues of shelter adoptions, spay and neuter, and euthanasia
          > All Paws on Deck (June 4): The generosity and dedication of The
          HSUS's supporters shines through in response to repeated attacks from
          the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance

          > Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner
          >

          > Enjoy life and smile.

        • Mitch Cohen
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
            Interesting... HSUS considers Vilsack one of its top choices:
            hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2008/12/obama-cabinet.html

            Organic Consumers Assoc (OCA) thinks he'd be terrible for Ag Secy, and has a campaign to stop his apptmt:
            www.organicconsumers.org/bytes/ob157.htm Food First concurs with OCA.

            To: sfveg@yahoogroups.com
            From: rojony57@...
            Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 00:32:04 -0800
            Subject: [SFVeg] Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation | The Humane Society of the United States

            "Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation" wrote: ....2008: A Look Back