comments on veg food-post your feedback

  • sunny outdoors
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2008
      another article...
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=49&entry_id=33156

      this sums up how some of us thing:

      As Americans become increasingly aware of the direct link between diet and disease, I believe that in a decade or two, the majority will become either mainly or entirely vegetarian. We vegetarians are a small percentage of the total population now, but the public health and environmental costs are just too high to sustain our current meat-centric national diet.

      Fuel costs and their effect on food prices will likely be another important driver to convert the mainstream into sourcing local produce and/or growing their own. I'm convinced that in a few years vegetarianism will be as mainstream as running/cardio exercise is today.

      ==
      another comment

      I liked this article and found it helpful. I'm not a vegetarian and I don't think I'll ever become one 100%, but I have been focusing lately on gradually increasing the amount of heart-healthy, non-meat meals I eat each week.

      I think a lot of non-vegetarians like me have the perception (probably erroneous) that it's a tough road to go. And any tips about what products and foods taste good (and how to best use them) are really helpful. Our family is on a tight budget, and although I am the only one eating stuff like tofu, I hate to waste money and food by making a bad choice.

      I do agree with the commenters about the wonderful vegetarian foods you can find at Asian and Indian restaurants. I wish more of the experienced vegetarians commenters would help educate those of us non-vegetarian readers with more specific information about the foods you enjoy, resources for good recipes, and the like. (I think most of us Bay Area folk are already pretty aware of the reasons why those who choose the vegetarian lifestyle do so.)

    • rojony57
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2009
        My thoughts are that downwards things like eating meat will always be
        part of life. Being veg will never be a majority, but I for one have
        no choice. I have to be vegetarian.